With Halloween lurking around the corner and spooky sensations all around, it is the prime time for the horror industry. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays of the year and since it is about two weeks away I was thinking about it a lot. Haunted houses and scary movies are some of my favorite things, but I started to wonder, why do I enjoy them? What is so great about getting scared and paying for it? What is the appeal of the horror industry?

Looking for this answer I came across this website. This article offered several different theories as to why we enjoy things that scare us. A theory from this website I found interesting was “Sensation-seeking” This means sensation-seeking personality types will seek out things that arouse sensation. “People who seek higher levels of arousal thoroughly enjoy the response -heightened feelings of awareness when their bodies go through intense experiences. These experiences range from watching horror films to skydiving and bungee jumping.” I think this theory could apply to me because I really enjoy things like scary movies, haunted houses, and rollercoasters; things that have high levels of arousal. Another article I found also supports this theory. This article, also says that certain people are more attracted to being scared than others. There isn’t really a set answer as to why we enjoy horror movies but I found a reasonable theory to explain for myself.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What is so appealing about the horror industry? by Ceceli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kaylea 6 months ago

Dear Ceceli,
    I am interested in your post because the reason why people enjoy being scared and horror is still something people don’t really know the answer to. I believe the reason why people love horror so much is the thrill and the spike in adrenaline people get from being scared. People have a natural fight or flight response and adrenaline is released to prepare the body.

One thing you said that stood out to me was “These experiences range from watching horror films to skydiving and bungee jumping.” because people don’t relate horror and things like skydiving. They both put senses of danger on a person and cause adrenaline rush.

2. Sebastian 6 months ago

Ceceli,
    I am not too big of a fan of horror movies, so your piece interested me. After reading the last paragraph I was somewhat disappointed because of how much more I would like to see! I understand you were probably going for more of a short and sweet essay, but there’s a lot of potential in here. If you wrote something more in depth about the ideas of horror movies, it could become really popular! Now these are just ideas, and I love what you have here. I do also want to let you know there are a couple grammar and spelling mistakes in here, but a one look over to find them wouldn’t hurt. I do think the question you posed was interesting, and I hope to see more!
    Thanks.