Many of us throughout our lives ask this question and wonder to ourselves if we are that good person.

When asking someone what makes a good person, you’ll find that many people will say many different things. You may simply never know what a truly good person looks life. I believe goof is defined in the way you want it defined. Looking up the word good on google, the one definition that struck out to me was “to be approved of”. In my opinion there’s no one way this can be an accurate definition. Growing up in a religious family and learning much about significant Catholic figures, I’ve come to learn that being accepted by others has nothing to do with whether or not you’re a good person. Many people throughout our history have committed their lives to service for others and get disapproved of quite often.

With this definition simply not giving me an answer I turned to what I believed was the correct way to define good. To me it is the willingness to produce or act in ways that better society and enlighten the hearts of those around us. In choosing to do the good in our world, we can learn what is wrong. Through making wrong choices we become better people. I believe one of the only ways to be good is to knowing every aspect of good and bad  and what it can bring into your life. We all must find our way to the good somehow. Everyone is a good person and we all have the capacity to produce things that better the hearts of everyone. 

I found a list of reasons of what makes you a good person. Start checking them off slowly and if all of them aren’t completed (some of them may never be), it doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. Be positive and start considering the things you can do to be better!!

Take this mini test to see how good of a person you are!! 

What makes someone a good person?

CC BY-SA 4.0 What defines someone as good person? by Cheryl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jade 4 weeks ago

Cheryl, this article is so great and has a lot of meaning to it, this post really defines what makes someone a good person you use well stated key points and facts. The goodness of a person is defined by who they are not just their looks and their actions. You did a really good job explaining this topic and putting your own opinion into it.

2. Samantha 4 weeks ago

Dear Cheryl,
    This article is amazing! I am very intrigued with your post because you had some great key points along with great evidence relating to what you were saying. One thing you said that really caught my attention is when you said,”To me it is the willingness to produce or act in ways that better society and enlighten the hearts of those around us.” I think this is interesting because you are showing us what the real definition of being a good person is it’s something that has to come from your heart and mind.Thank you for sharing your post keep up the great work I will hopefully be reading more from you in the future.

Regards,
    Samantha

3. Noah 1 month ago

Cheryl,

All of what you’ve written here is really interesting, I like that you point out that everyone has some capacity to be “good.” This makes me wonder, is being a “good person” really objective at all? Everyone has different values, you mention religion and society as factors that create values for some people. I’m not sure if the definition of a good person is the same, or even similar to everyone. On the other hand, I think there are basic qualities of empathy, compassion, forgiveness, and others similar to these that will make someone a positive member of society, whether people define that person as “good” or not.

4. Hannah 1 month ago

Hi Cheryl, I am intrigued by your research. People have different opinions about different things. You wrote that “you may simply never know what a truly good person looks life”, and I agree with this point because there is no actual definition of a good person so there is no way to give the accurate definition of good person. I also agree that we should look at positive side of ourselves. We were taught that we always need to think about other people and what impact will we bring to other people but how can a person know if he/she is doing the right thing or the wrong thing?
    Here is a useful resource for what defines a good person: http://isp.netscape.com/whatsnew/package.jsp?name=fte/bestqualities/bestqualities

5. Erika 1 month ago

Dear Cheryl,
    This article is good! I agree with you on how everyone is good and bad, but every person is good in their own way. Something that stood out for me is when you said “In my opinion there’s no one way this can be an accurate definition” what are you trying to say is how there is no right or wrong answer for people to understand about what “good” is, but your right like I said before everyone is good in their own way and their is a right defintion.

6. Josue 1 month ago

This is such of an amazing and interesting article. I just love how firm you are and aware of what it trully means to actually be a “good person”. I completely agree with you in the part where you, Cheryl, confirmed, “In my opinion there’s no one way this can be an accurate definition.” Building off of this part, a lot of people define a good persson in their own ways. Which will change over time and per person. Keep on thinking deeply about evrything!

7. Takeo 1 month ago

Dear Cheryl,

This article is great! You added some great, strong, and powerful words! Good job! This post makes me think that everyone are not good or bad people, but I am. And I agree, you will never know what a truly good person looks like. So keep up the good work! I love this article.

Takeo