Places like India, China and Africa that have an enormous population and with the increase in population we see a lot of problems that accompany it. We see issues such as global warming, environment pollution, habitat loss, intensive farming practices, and also the consumption of finite natural resources. Most of the population boom will be in less developed regions like Africa at 49% of the 2.3 billion increase we are expected to see in the next 40 years.

One of the many problems with overpopulation is the consumption of finite natural resources. As stated on everythingconnected.org “Of all the water on Earth there is only “2.5% freshwater on earth and 70% of freshwater is divided into glaciers and ice caps and the remaining 30% into land surface water, such as rivers, lakes, ponds and groundwater.” most of that fresh water is either polluted or unreachable leaving 1% of the world’s freshwater accessible for human use. We are consuming fresh water at least 10 times faster than is being replenished on Earth.

With overpopulation we see lower life expectancy in the fastest growing countries. In many developing countries they will see a decrease in their quality and length of life. With this  they will face problems such as supplying water, food, and shelter for the growing population, this will have a major effect on public health.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is overpopulation a big problem that needs to be answered? by Parker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.