A phobia is a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it. Phobias can interfere with your ability to work, socialize, and go about a daily routine. People who have phobias are often so overwhelmed by their anxiety that they avoid the feared objects or situations. For most people, the simple pleasures of life are striped from them.

There are three classes of phobias: agoraphobia, social phobia, and specific phobia. Agoraphobics have an intense fear of being in a situation from which immediate escape is not possible or in which help would not be available if the person should become overwhelmed by anxiety or experience a panic attack or panic-like symptoms. Specific phobia is a catchall category for any phobias other than agoraphobia and social phobias. Social phobia is a fear that is extremely intrusive and can disrupt normal life, interfering with work or social relationships in varying degrees of severity.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How are phobias manifested? by Johan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jessica 5 months ago

Hi! This was a very interesting read. The human brain and mind has always fascinated me, especially when it comes to mental illnesses. Phobia’s are of course something I would not wish on anybody, but they are also very interesting to learn about (I think). I did not know that there are three classes of phobias, but it makes sense that there are, because there are so many different types of fears and ways people handle their fears. Great read!