The players had every right to kneeling during the national anthem. A lot of people were offended by them doing this, very offended. It was mostly white people. They had twisted and misconstrued the reasoning behind them kneeling, they had made it about what they wanted it to be about, their flag. Unfortunately that was not what them kneeling was about. They kneeled because they wanted to make a statement and protest about the police brutality towards black Americans. This issue in not anything new this has been going on for decades but it has gotten worst and it something that needs to change.

The President does not agree to the players kneeling and he has made some very disrespectful comments toward football players, teams and he also wants things taken from the entire football league. In Washington Post I read “President Trump tweeted that tax breaks should be revoked from a league that disrespects “our Anthem, Flag and Country.” What automatically makes him think it is about those three things. He should have asked before making silly comments and making himself look foolish.

Kneeling during the Anthem has caused a huge problem in the U.S. Some people feel disrespected, some people are ashamed and some people simply just don’t care. What is the big problem about them kneeling the during the national anthem. They are standing (kneeling) for what they believe in just like Gyree Durante. Durante had kneeled for what he believed in and for that he was cut from his college football team. In the article from SBNation he stated “I was just taught for what you believe in and you don’t bow to anyone,” he continued “I believe heavily in this. So I decided to fight for it.” He was cut off of a unified decision.

Finally after all this the N.F.L owners decided they will stand with their players.  On NY Times the article “N.F.L Owners Wont Penalize Players for Kneeling during Anthem” In this article it stated “The N.F.L owners will allow players to kneel or sit down during the national anthem without penalty.” They finally came together and realized the real meaning behind the kneeling. This article also stated that “The promises to help support some of the causes targeted by the protesting players – criminal justice system.”  Kneeling during the national anthem has made a great impact on the United States.

CC BY-SA 4.0 About Justice Not the Flag by Makhia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Catherine 1 year ago

Makhia,
    I really liked your post. I agree with you too. I think that they had every right to kneel. If injustice is happening I think that peacefully protesting it on a national platform is one of the best ways to go. Many people argue that they were disrespecting the flag, but I have looked up flag code. If this is there main arguments it ought to be automatically negated. People go against flag code all the time, it is against flag code to put the flag on an article of clothing, but around the fourth of July it’s everywhere. Flags should also not be displayed in bad weather (unless they are an all weather flag), but during the summer I see flags proudly lining the streets, rain or shine. If you’re interested in looking at more flag code here is a link to an overview of it. http://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html
    I look forward to seeing what you write next.

2. Jessyca 1 year ago

Your post is powerful! I’m proud that you have grown comfortable with your written voice!