According to an article by Beyond, 20% of people procrastinate chronically.  Unfortunately, I am a part of that 20%; I insist on putting things off until the last minute, and while there have never been any seen ramifications to this habit of mine, it adds lots of unnecessary stress to my everyday life.  I procrastinate everything, whether it is schoolwork, my relationships with others, my family; when I have to simply talk to someone I oftentimes find myself waiting days before I actually do.  All this vicious cycle does is create an inordinate amount of stress in my life, and it is stress that is completely unnecessary.  I want to find a way to fix this, but at this point in my life I am beginning to think that this is a part of who I am, and can’t be fixed.

As I said previously, I have seen no immediate detriments as a product of my bad habit; I am close to the top of my class and as of my entire high school career have never missed an assignment, or even turned it in late.  This is when procrastination is not seen, and there is a reason for this: there is a deadline.  The problem becomes when there is no real deadline, because my procrastination makes things that have no official end date impossible to get done.  So while I have never been hurt by my habit in terms of school, things like relationships, future goals, and personal projects never seem to get done because I am waiting for when it has to get done.

I’m sure that there are many more people like me and feel the same way I do about this issue.  Procrastination just means that we are easily lead awry by distractions, and once those begin we can’t find our way out of the downward spiral.  As long as there is an official date at which something needs to be done, it is not a problem, but unfortunately that is not the case in many situations.  As a procrastinator, all I need to do is start an activity and it is easy to accomplish; unfortunately, this is the most difficult part of the entire process.  If I force myself to start something, I can finish it, but until that point in a project I am still in the dark depths of procrastination.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Dark Spiral of Procrastination by Zach is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. NevinS 6 months ago

Zach,
    Thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading your essay and I feel the same way. I’m also a huge procrastinator and I find it very hard to start anything unless it has a official deadline. I also feel the stress you talked about in your essay. In my opinion the toll stress takes on a person is a ramification. Thank you for your post!