I don’t see why the national protest is a big issue. Honestly, I don’t care about any part of it. If people want to take a knee during the national anthem, let them. if they want to stand let them. The main reason this is so pointless to me is because I honestly don’t think racism or police brutality will ever end. It’s just something we will have to get used to. Kneeling during the national anthem or not participating in it is not going to stop crimes against blacks and other minorities. All it’s going to do is spark up argument and anger. Then when people get angry that’s how more crimes against black people are committed. So in the end all of this is pointless.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Taking a Knee Is Pointless by Quantrelle is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Myla 12 months ago

Dear Quantrelle,
    In your writing I can see that you have a strong opinion about this subject, and you get that opinion across well. But I would like to disagree. The football players that took a knee during the national anthem knew they weren’t going to stop police brutality or racism, they were doing it to make a point. They kneeled to show that they were not going to stand for the oppression and hate. I agree that they should be able to stand or kneel, as you said in your article, but I think our reasons for thinking this are different. I disagree very strongly with one part of your article, it reads, ” The main reason this is so pointless to me is because I honestly don’t think racism or police brutality will ever end. It’s just something we have to get used to.” I disagree with this opinion because no one should ever have to get used to being oppressed, or killed, or judged, or not being given as many opportunities, just because they have a different color of skin. Every human should be given the same rights and respect, it’s common sense. You might not have meant this in your writing, but to me it sounds like you don’t care about racism, and wether or not it ends. This is my opinion, and you don’t have to change yours, but I would like you to think about what I’ve written. Also, to give insight on what a person of color feels on racism, I suggest you read ‘The Hate U Give’ by Angie Thomas. It’s a really good book that is very powerful, and that made me think about police brutality.
    Sincerely, Myla

2. Alison 12 months ago

Dear Quantrelle,
    I appreciate you sharing your opinion in youth voices. However, I would like to respectfully disagree with you because I personally believe that there is a point to kneeling down. These communities or “minorities’ as you describe them have been oppressed for several years so for them this is more than kneeling down. This is them showing solidarity. They are showing solidarity becuase they are trying to prove the point that they are not going to take the oppression anymore and they’re going to stand up for their rights. These communities do believe that there will be a change happening if they keep on fighting back to the oppression. This is just my opinion and its something that I would like for you to think about. Thank you for writting I look foward to reading more of your intresting posts and opinons. If you had some time I would love if you could answer some of these questions and write me back. How do you feel about other movements happening right now? Do you know or have heard of anyones opinion on this topic? If you dont mind me asking , I identify as a Latina . What do you identify as? Thank you very much I look foward to hearing about you.

Alison