Is it money ? is it having what you want? What truly makes us happy ?. As human beings our goal has always been to find happiness. The pursuit of happiness has been ranked as one of the top cherished goals in life. Everyone wants to be happy, many work multiple jobs in order to get this happiness and some even go to the extent of changing regions, traveling the world, and finding out who they truly are. “The biggest factor holding us back from achieving our dreams is, simply and sadly, our own selves. We put limitations on ourselves everyday, whether intentionally or unintentionally” says Ashley Fern.

“Much research has been conducted on the impact of money in our level of well-being.  It appears that having a higher income can make a substantial difference for people whose basic needs are not being met. However, for middle and upper-income people, studies have found that acquiring more wealth is not likely to significantly enhance happiness over the long-term.”

According to Psych central; there are three fundamental building blocks needed to attain happiness. These are Autonomy,Competence and Relatedness. Autonomy is “Believing that we are the cause of our own actions empowers us to live our lives in a way that we find meaningful and satisfying. Autonomy is the freedom and power that makes us feel alive knowing that we are the creators of our own destiny and that life is a canvas we can paint as we please.
In order to be happy, we need to be the authors of our own life story. If we base our decisions on what others think then we’ll be living their lives and not ours. Other people’s thinking is a projection of their own life, their own mistakes, their own fears. So don’t make them yours”.

To be happy we need to feel capable and effective in our actions. Trusting our ability to accomplish whatever we set our mind to do is a powerful motivator. Feeling competent gives us the confidence we need to pursue the life of our dreams.
People’s level of motivation, emotions, and actions have been found to be based more on what they believe than on what is objectively true. So believe in yourself. Beliefs move mountains.
And remember that skills and abilities can be developed, so when faced with self-doubt, take action to improve whatever it is you feel you are lacking.

Lastly we need to feel like we belong, we must have a place where we can call home.”Human beings are social by nature and need intimate contact with others. As much as we need to be autonomous to be happy, we also need to feel connected. Feeling supported and loved by the people close to us makes us feel we are cared for in an otherwise lonely world.
Although never in detriment of our own genuine individuality, we need to nurture our social bonds and feel we are part of something bigger than ourselves (our relationships, our family, our communities)

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pursuit Of Happiness by Fredrick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sofia 1 month ago

I completely agree with everything you said. This was a very strong article backed up with a lot of evidence. I agree that money doesn’t define happiness. I understand that you can be unhappy if your basic needs are not met, but if those needs are being fulfilled, you have the ability to lead a happy life.

2. Ethan 1 month ago

My dearest Fredrick. Have you personally experienced this “Pursuit of Happiness” ? Your article seems to be personal in a way that lets the audience feel close. Love the statistic you choose to use. I also agree with the money ideology, that is so true-money doesn’t make us happy.

-Ethan H

3. Natalie 1 month ago

Dear Fredrick,

This post is great and states so many true things. People just think that money is the key to happiness, but that is not true. I really like the part where you said, “In order to be happy, we need to be the authors of our own life story.” I really like that because you get to make your own story, it’s your life. To be happy you need to create your story. It’s a really cool way to think about. You are doing great.

Natalie

4. Natalie 1 month ago

Dear Fredrick,

Natalie

5. Bobby 1 month ago

Fred,
    This is a very informative post and it needs more attention. How many people do you think go through their life and think to themselves that people only need money to be happy? Too many. But I especially like the part where you say we need intimate contact with people, because that is what makes life worth living, having someone to share your life with. Even the most successful people admit that there’s more to life than money: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-9-incredibly-successful-people-define-success-2014-5?op=1/#llionaire-richard-branson-believes-success-is-about-engagement-6. Thank you for the post.
    Bobby