Standing for what you feel is in the best interest for everyone, is not only a selfless act, but it shows that a person wants to ultimately bring good to the world. Using a voice that not many others share, in order to reach a widespread audience on a common issue. Even if that means standing alone, showing those who mock what you feel in your heart is right can only be a test on if you really want the issue to be resolved. Cornering the issue of NFL players (and other entertainment corporations) taking a “stand” against the national anthem should not be a problem. If anything, those individuals are partaking in a peaceful protest. No violence or acts of disrespect have been done. They are only speaking out on the rising concerns of how our “united nation” deals with certain situations. Team members and even coaches of various sports teams have taken a knee during the playing of the national anthem. Also, as stated in the article from ESPN’s website “NFL players, coaches, owners lock arms, kneel during national anthem”, teams have stayed in the locker rooms until the game officially starts. As a result those individuals have been ridiculed by many naysayers and even the president. Stating that what they are doing is shameful and disrespectful to those who have fought for our country. The president stated on Twitter that he would like owners/coaches to punish anyone who does not participate in the national anthem. Colin Kaepernick was the first of many to kneel during national anthem. He constantly has hateful comments thrown his way by many, but he still continues to fight for what he feels needs to change in today’s system. Kaepernicks views were one sided, as others constantly argued back that they were “great officers” that didn’t need to be put behind bars. Police brutality could’ve have been stopped early on, instead officers were given a slap on the wrists. While others overlooked the issue, Kaepernick chose to raise his voice. He stated, “ African Americans were oppressed by the country’s leaders, who felt ashamed by their company”. We the people need to take a stand on the social injustices of this country before sides and fights corrupt the streets.

~ Jalyn Brown

CC BY-SA 4.0 Kneeling Down, Rising Up by Jalyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Arron 3 months ago

I believe that the players had every right to take a knee during the National Anthem. In the anthem it says “Land of the Free” if that was true weaponless blacks wouldn’t get gunned down by white cops and be let go scot free without serving a sentence. The standing up for what they believe in and utilizing the platform they have. Being professional athletes they have cameras covering them before the games. They use the coverage to show the world they believe what going on in the country is wrong and won’t stand for an anthem that doesn’t apply to all races. People say they (the athletes) are disrespecting the soldiers that served our country. IT NOT THAT, THEY IS JUST PROTESTING THE WAY THE JUSTICE SYSTEM WORKS NOT TRYING TO DISRESPECT THEM (THE SOLDIERS). We all respect the soldiers and what they fight for and sacrifice for us.

2. Solen, Joey and Kendall 3 months ago

By Kendall, Joey, Solen
    Dear Jalyn Brown,
    When we read your article, “Kneeling Down, Rising Up”, Kendall and I (Solen) thought that’s it’s good that the athletes are protesting because it is their right to protest and there has been multiple actions against African Americans. There is technically nothing illegal or wrong about kneeling or protesting because the First Amendment lets you have free speech and the right to protest. One quote that we like and completely agree with is “Standing for what you feel is in the best interest for everyone, is not only a selfless act, but it shows that a person wants to ultimately bring good to the world.” On the other hand, our partner Joey thinks that it’s bad and disrespectful to knee and protest. He feels it’s disrespectful to the flag, Country, and Veterans. This shows that many people have different opinions about what is right to do and what is not. Something that is protected by our rights. We really enjoyed your thoughts in this article and look forward to reading another one in the future.

3. Jennifer 8 months ago

I am intrigued by your post because it just really caught my attention on how badly our country has fallen, and how the president decides to handle people expressing their free speech. Although many people have been shunned for taking a knee during the national anthem that is their way of peacefully handling the injustices in the United States I’m sure none of them mean disrespect to those who fought in the military.
    One thing you said that stands out for me is, “Police brutality could’ve have been stopped early on, instead officers were given a slap on the wrists.” because I agreed to this on so many levels, all the police violence that I have seen on social media and the news is truly repulsive especially coming from people who are supposed to protect our country not feel threatened by a person of a different race and kill them.