With our school’s recent policy that requires students to bring a laptop to school, I have wondered if this helps or hinders our ability to learn. While on one hand it makes information instantaneously available, it also makes distractions a lot easier to access. In any given class there are at least a handful of people playing a game. And some people say that physically writing things down helps you to remember them. So if there is so many people bashing on technology, why are so many schools integrating them?

Many websites say that the main reason schools are trying to implement laptops are certain learning devices is that when they are used correctly, they can save time and money. When students are asked to do tasks on their phones, it is easier for them to access social media or other games that might hinder them from accomplishing the task at hand. Many schools are on the same page when it comes to saying that laptops, while sometimes can be distractions, are much harder to distract teens than cell phones. Another reason that technology can be effective, according to https://www.securedgenetworks.com, is that technology can help students interact with both the teacher and other students more effectively. Sharing information between classmates is rapid, and teachers can give instant feedback to help their students work. Finally, with our society revolving more and more around technology, using technology in school allows students to prepare more for their future fields. There is a good chance that a lot of high schoolers now will be working with technology in one way or another when they graduate. Integrating technology into schools only allows students to become more and more comfortable with the tools they will be using later in life.

Schools continue to incorporate more and more technology into their day to day schedule. Learning has seen a paradigm shift over the last decade and we will continue to see changes in the years to come. Technology seems to be giving more to students than is taking away, and with this integration of technology, the sky’s the limit when it comes to learning. Hopefully teachers and other educators can continue to find effective ways to use technology in their classrooms that will boost the learning experience for students.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Does technology help learning? by Carter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. lukas 4 weeks ago

Dear Carter,
    I am intrigued with your post/essay because it has to deal with something I have been wondering for a long time. Also, I have to disagree with you because the people I know today hate doing stuff or class assignments on computers because its stress full because you always need WiFi but also they get distracted easily.

One thing that stands out to me is ,”So if there is so many people bashing on technology, why are so many schools integrating them?” I think this is interesting because a lot of people in my school hate technology because how much trouble it gives us but yet they still use it.

Lukas

2. Emily 1 month ago

Hi Carter-
    I thought this post was interesting considering that the integration of laptops is something that effects us all here at Judge. I too have wondered if having laptops in the classroom is helping or hindering our learning ability. While the school wifi has blocked numerous networks to keep us focused, i think it is safe to say that someway/somehow we find loop holes. Of course laptops are a very efficient way to get work done, but i think that they could possibly be deterring our ability to focus. The following article provides more info regarding this topic http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/08/18/536875865/15-years-later-how-did-it-go-with-maines-school-laptop-program