To be able to answer this question, you first have to define what the definition of friend is. A friend is a person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically one exclusive of sexual or family relations. Friends are usually found when two people have the same interest or hobbies. The most common way people make friends is through school. You could also make a friend in your community, sport, or activities/hobbies. If a person has a similar value like you do then you are most likely to become their friend. In an article that I read it identify that there are eleven ideas that help you choose your friend group these include: associate higher, choosing friends with similar value, choose friends with common goals, choosing friends who can bring balance in areas where you are weaker, choosing friends that stretch, motivate and encourage you to do better, choose friends that share the same interest, choose a friend that have a thirst for knowledge, choose a friend who you could be purpose partners with, choose friend who will celebrate your success, choose friends who are “get-it” people, and lastly give what you expect to get.

However when choosing a friend group, a person should not try to be friends with everyone, not saying it’s a bad thing but some people can’t people trusted. When choosing your friend, make sure you select them carefully. Here are four reasons why: Strong-willed friends can help increase your self-control, having an abundance of friends will reduce the chance of taking financial risk, close friends could help you live longer, and friends can greatly influence your choice. Strong-willed friends could help you not cheat on diets, make sure that you are okay, and help you through tough times. By having a good number of friends you are less likely to spend a lot of money on things you don’t need, that doesn’t mean to make sure everyone is your friend which could cause stress, anxiety, and problems. You will also have people to connect  and have fun with instead of buying your way to happiness. By having a close friend, they will push you to become better people, which is beneficial for your health creating longevity.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Choosing My Friends by Christopher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jennifer 1 year ago

Dear, Allison
    I am excited about your post because you talk about different qualities that make friend good friends. Another thing you talk about not having too many friends because not everyone can be trusted and I personally think that’s really important for many people to know.
    One thing that stands out to me is ” If a person has a similar value like you do then you are most likely to become their friend.” I think this is intelligent because this gives people a good example on what to look for in a friend.