With how much soda I tend to drink on a daily basis, I wonder how much soda is too much. I have always heard that too much caffeine can be bad for you, whether its detrimental to your body or it just doesn’t let you sleep. I wanted to know if caffeine is the problem or the other contents in our favorite drinks are really what are hurting us. Everyone I know drinks some kind of drink packed with caffeine or sugar, so I wondered, is it healthy?

Almost everyone in society drinks something caffeinated throughout their day. Whether it’s coffee or soda, everyone needs that rush of energy to get them through their day. Caffeine helps run our society, but how much is too much. Various studies have been done that say caffeine in moderation is okay. Some say that it should be avoided all together. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678 says that 400 mg is the safe amount for adults to drink in a day. That puts Americans in the clear to continue on drinking as much caffeine as they do. But that isn’t saying much about the other contents of most drinks. While you could drink 4 cups of coffee, take 2 energy shots, or drink 4 cans of soda and be okay(on caffeine that is), the other sugars and various things in the drinks are what make them unhealthy. Some Starbucks coffees contain up to 40 grams of sugar, and each can of soda you drink is packed with about 39 grams on average. That alone is your suggested daily amount of sugar for most Americans.

So after a little research, caffeine is not our problem. The amount of sugar an American drinks in one year, on average, is 66 pounds. That is due to the fact that almost everyday, we are exceeding our daily sugar limit by at least three times. So next time you are faced with the decision of what to drink, rather than worrying about the amount of caffeine, take a closer look at the amount of sugar.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Caffeine isn’t the issue by Carter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Beth 1 month ago

Hi Carter! I found your post very informative. I was unaware that the bigger problem of caffeinated beverages is the sugar, not the caffeine. I found these statements shocking: “Some Starbucks coffees contain up to 40 grams of sugar, and each can of soda you drink is packed with about 39 grams on average. That alone is your suggested daily amount of sugar for most Americans. So after a little research, caffeine is not our problem. The amount of sugar an American drinks in one year, on average, is 66 pounds. That is due to the fact that almost everyday, we are exceeding our daily sugar limit by at least three times.” This is detrimental to our health and is a huge number we should be aware of when selecting drinks, where we sometimes don’t think of the ingredients like we do with food. I think it’d be interesting and strengthen your argument if you compared different caffeinated, sugar-filled drinks and then compared them to “healthy alternatives” to see if they really are a “good” substitute. Check out this article: https://www.caffeineinformer.com/sugar-in-drinks

2. unlimitedpromise 1 month ago

good observation. i like to say all things in moderation!