Air pollution is the trash we see, the smoke that comes out of factories and fires and is the responsible for many children getting sick, the plants are dying, causes many problems to the people and the environment and it occurs in schools, homes, offices, and cities. The responsible are the factory owners, the people who cause fires and throw trash on the streets. In order to combat this big problem, we have to plant trees and recycle.

Please add some comments or suggestions.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Combating Air Pollution by Walter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mason 2 months ago

Walter,
    Living in Salt Lake City Utah, I know all too well the degree of the issue of air pollution within communities as well as worldwide. The issue with air pollution is that it extends past any “borders”, pollution is an issue that is not bound to any one place, but rather is a collective issue in our world. To combat this issue I think would take a lot of small steps towards a larger solution, For example Los Angeles had extremely bad air quality, and then took steps to rectify it, I think it could be useful to research further details of the steps Los Angeles too to fix their air quality, because if more places took those same steps it could make a big impact. I look forward to seeing how you develop your ideas further on this topic.

2. Ed 2 months ago

Hi Walter,

Air pollution is a growing problem along with other pollution issues due to rising populations. A major producer of air pollution in major cities is the toxins produced by mass amounts of drivers. However there are many things we can do to cut back on it. Here’s a good list of proposed solutions to start off with: https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/brochure/simple_solutions.pdf. As population densities rise and cities continue to grow, the problem will only continue to get larger, so it’s nice to see people initiation discussion now. We only get one shot at conserving the health of our planet that permits us to be healthy as people.

Thanks
    Ed

3. Hannah 2 months ago

Hi Walter, air pollution is a big and serious issue in the world. Many countries are trying to improve the air pollution problem but in order to solve this problem, everyone need to work on that. People should care about their environment, their health, as well as their later generation. What are some ways we can do to reduce air pollution? Should the government get involved?
    Here is a useful link for the relationship between health and air quality http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs313/en/
    Good Luck!

4. Kira 2 months ago

Hello Walter, pollution is a big problem world wide, and should be treated as such. I agree that big corporations are large contributors to the waste created and dispelled in many countries, and restrictions should be placed on the degree of waste that can be produced. California’s beaches are coated in a layer of plastic and other trash and Los Angles has so much smog that one might mistake it for low-hanging clouds. An article that could provide more information is http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2013/10/30/global-waste-on-pace-to-triple . Hope this helped!

5. Tanner 2 months ago

Hi Walter. Air pollution is a big problem in the world. I also live in Salt Lake City. The winter time we have inversions (pollution) that covers the entire valley. This makes it even colder here. But we also have pollution in the summer too. When there is a wildfire, the smoke travels here, and this makes the air polluted too. What do you think about American views on the environment? Do we make this a priority? Or is it not as important than other tasks at the moment (terrorism, economy, etc)? I did find an article that shows American views of the environment if you are interested. Hope this helps!
    Source: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/20/for-earth-day-heres-how-americans-view-environmental-issues/

6. NIki 2 months ago

Walter,
    I strongly agree that air pollution is a huge problem that we continue to shove aside. Where I live, as well as many other places have terrible inversions in the winter making it harmful to be outside. I think that we need to be more carfeull about burning fossil fuels and idling and taking advantage of public transport as well as the sollutions you listed for the problem. I think you could go more in depth about the actual effects of the air pollution and how far reaching it is as well as list some other solutions to help with the problem. This is a article that shows some simple ways to help with air pollution. https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/brochure/simple_solutions.pdf

7. Emily 2 months ago

Hi Walter!
    You bring up some really good points here. While factory owners, those that litter, and others who are careless about our environment are largely to blame for air pollution I do not think they are the only people contributing to this global issue. Unfortunately polluters are all around us: you, me, our friends, family members, etc. While many people, myself included, are not intedning to harm our planet, we do. It’s through our daily activities that we pollute (driving to school, eating beef, you name it). It’s important that people in our every day lives become more aware of this issue and the ways in which we can avoid/make it better. I agree that in order to combat this pronem we must make necessary changes. Afterall, we are the generation responsible for change.

8. Erica 2 months ago

Walter, I believe the issue you have chosen is very serious topic facing our world right now. It is important to discuss solutions to this topic, especially because it affects the health of so many people. I liked the idea you proposed that “In order to combat this big problem, we have to plant trees and recycle.” I would like to see more from you about this issue in the future. Thanks for your contribution.

9. Carter 2 months ago

Walter, your post causes a lot of awareness about an important issue. It is important that our generation tries to solve this issue so that generations to come won’t have to worry about it. Your suggestion about recycling and planting trees are huge in the fight against air quality. I live in Salt Lake City Utah, where each year we get a huge amount of pollution and for months our city looks covered in smoke, so this issue is important to me as well. National Geographic wrote an article that can help offer other solutions. You can check it out at https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/pollution. Your article helps shine light on an important topic so thank you for enlightening us!!
    Carter

10. Lucy 2 months ago

Your ideas here are so important for awareness amongst millennials. Greenhouse gases are not only within the air we breathe, causing illnesses throughout people, (as you’ve described here) plants and animals, but also has a presence within the ocean, as a quarter of all Carbon emissions are absorbed by the ocean. If you’re interested in this, I suggest you check out NOAA; its a great resource for people interested in the effects of pollution and the ways in which it can be stopped.
    I hope you continue to learn about the harm of air and ocean pollution on our world; education is the key to change.
    Lucy

11. Maggie 2 months ago

Walter,
    I really liked your post about combating air pollution. I liked how your post was short and sweet and how it got straight to the point. I think there are many things that you could add to make your argument stronger. I think one of these things is to do a bit more research on how we could combat pollution in a more effective manner. How do you personally think that we can combat this? Do you think it is possible to live in a world where there is no pollution? http://greenliving.lovetoknow.com/ways-stop-pollution Here is a link to ways that we can effectively combat pollution in big cities. Best of luck!
    Maggie

12. Isa 2 months ago

Walter,
    I believe air pollution is a large problem around the US. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah where every winter our whole city gets polluted and struggles to push this air out. I think our first step would be having everyone get on board to come up with some solutions to better off our air quality. Simple things like not idling or carpooling could help our country immensely. Below I have a link that gives helpful suggestions of what all of us could do to help.
    https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/divisions/air/tsb/ams/aqmdp/share.htm
    Thank you for sharing this with me!