The question I have is why animal cruelty still exists. For years now I have been vegetarian because I have learned the horrible conditions animals have to suffer to be used for human demands. If you do it correctly, there is no need to be eating meat or consuming any dairy products. I also follow a cruelty free lifestyle by using all shower, hair, body, and beauty products that are 100% cruelty free (no animal testing).

I know this sounds very picky and I sound like I am very wealthy, but neither are true. I just love animals so much that I want to help as much as I can. People seem to treat animals like they aren’t equal to us, but they are. We are no better than any living thing. This why I believe that people think it’s okay to mistreat animals. They think it’s okay because they think an animal’s life can’t mean as much as a human life. I also believe they think this because the animal is being used for human gain.

Animal cruelty does not need to exist for humans to live a “fulfilled” life, and the mistreatment of these animals is inhumane. We need to treat all living things as one of our own and not abuse them or kill them for no reason. We are lowering their populations at alarming rates, and the loss of these animals are going to destroy our ecosystem and the world will crumble with these losses. Abusing animals is social justice issue because of their importance, and how they are just as important as humans.

Photo by VinothChandar

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why Does Animal Cruelty Still Exist? by Gilli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mason 6 days ago

Also from all logical standpoints we are better than them, reason being is we’re the highest on the food chain, they are subservient to us and at our disposal. Mind blown right? The shark is greater and stronger than the seal.

2. Mason 6 days ago

Wait… Wait just one second… We raise animals specifically for lab testing, not effecting their wild population whatsoever, and most animals we test on are completely domesticated and wouldn’t be able to survive in the wild due to a lack of human interventionism. The loss of wild animal life is largely due, not to over hunting or “cruel” human practices on them, but habitat loss, which, well, do you live in a home? Guess what! You just caused the death of 2 deer, 3 squirrels, 2 rabbits, 1 chipmunk, 4 woodpeckers, 1000 ants, 200 cockroaches, 1200 termites, and 500 worms.

3. Chelsea 1 week ago

Gilli,
    I absolutely agree with your stance on how animals are treated. It’s cruel and unnecessary in most situations, but I don’t think it’s necessary to completely give up animals and animal products. I think the industry should be reformed and we shouldn’t need as big of an industry as we currently have. There should be more regulations and the animals should be kept safer. Though, I think some industries should be completely abolished there are some that help. While all life is important, there are varying degrees of importance. There shouldn’t be cruelty but there also doesn’t need to be a complete lack of eating and using animals. Lastly, in general I’d have to disagree with the stance that animal lives and human lives are the same, I’d hope that in a situation where you had to pick between a human life and an animal life you’d chose human. Though, you are right in saying how we treat animals is terrible.

4. Andrea 1 week ago

Gilli,
    Your piece really got me thinking about animal cruelty and ways to prevent it. I am not a vegetarian, but the thought of becoming one has crossed my mind before. In what ways do you think being a vegetarian can stop or combat animal cruelty? I’m a big animal lover and I agree that the way people treat animals is horrible. I’m glad that there are people who care for animals and want to make a difference though!

5. Alissa 1 week ago

hey gilli,

I agree so much with you, i’m a vegetarian for about two years and between this years I were one year vegan and that is one of my best decisions I ever did in my life. It is also so much better for my body and mental health. I don’t miss meat in any second of my life.

I really can’t understand how humans can be violent to animals, they feel pain, like you and me. They should be free, it is possible to life with animals together in peace.

6. James 2 weeks ago

Gilli,
    I agree that animals should be treated with the same amount of respect for their life as we would give to a human but there is also the argument that some of the products or foods we get from animals that we simply can’t live without. And in some of these cases the method of retrieving the product might not sound humane but it is the only way we know how to retrieve it at the rate that our species demands it. Did you look into any ways that efforts are being made today to help create more humane ways to get animal products? It is awfully impressive that you are able to switch to a vegetarian diet in order to support the animals but there are so many consumers of animal products out there that does it really make a difference? This definitely is an opportunity for someone to develop an innovative way to retrieve the animal products we need without acting in inhumane ways towards the animals and I think you have the potential to be that person. Great post!

7. Grace 2 weeks ago

Gilli,

I also agree that animals should be treated better and not used for testing but humans need what animals can provide. Even if you are vegetarian, the animals are still getting killed and used for other experiments. Many vegetarians say they love football. Footballs are made of leather and leather is made out of animals. There is no way to avoid the human use of animals and animals also provide many types of foods for humans and also resources like fur and skins that could be used for other things. I could see how you could be offended by the people who kill the animals and test them but being a vegetarian isn’t going to stop it as a whole.

8. Sovann 2 weeks ago

Hi Gilli,
    I completely agree with you, animal cruelty is a horrible travesty. Even without being a vegetarian I still try to get food that does not take animals for granted. Being a vegetarian is a great way to help animals, however it is not for everyone. I commend you for being one, but I can’t imagine myself being a vegetarian. However that doesn’t stop me from trying to help animals. Getting products that have treated animals kindly is one thing I do. Though I could certainly do more, helping at animal shelters or something else. It is quite surprising to me how badly people treat animals.

9. Abi 2 weeks ago

I am also vegetarian and the meat/diary industries are probably the most inhumane industries in this country. The animals are cramped in small cages, babies are taken away from their mamas, millions of baby male chicks die, pig get their tails cut off etc. It is extreme abuse, and not okay. I agree every existence on this earth have equal value. Also the vegetarian/vegan life style is so much healthier physically and mentally.