America’s values have changed immensely throughout the years. There are multiple problems that we need to face, but most of us are too afraid to do so. Society has taken control over us, more than we realize. There are also many injustices involving education, sexism, and racism. We need to talk about the things that are uncomfortable to talk about, so we can fix these issues that we are facing in this country.Society is extremely controlling men and women have to dress and act a certain way or else it is considered ‘inappropriate.’ For example, if a women does not wear a bra, most people will frown upon her. Why should women wear a bra, they’re expensive, uncomfortable, and it isn’t natural. Another example is that men have to play sports and be strong, dominant or else that are not considered attractive. I believe that you are a man when you truly allow yourself to feel and accept that you do not have to follow these standards. I could go on about how many societal ‘rules’ there are for both genders. But at the end of the day, you do not have to do certain things to ‘fit in’, just do whatever makes you happy and makes you feel like yourself. Do not listen to society, listen to yourself.

Society is extremely controlling men and women have to dress and act a certain way or else it is considered ‘inappropriate.’ For example, if a woman does not wear a bra, most people will frown upon her. Why should women wear a bra, they’re expensive, uncomfortable, and it isn’t natural. Another example is that men have to play sports and be strong, dominant or else they are not considered attractive. I believe that you are a man when you truly allow yourself to feel and accept that you do not have to follow these standards. I could go on about how many societal ‘rules’ there are for both genders. But at the end of the day, you do not have to do certain things to ‘fit in,’ just do whatever makes you happy and makes you feel like yourself. Do not listen to society, listen to yourself.Injustices are also a very big issue that we are facing today. We say that everyone has an opportunity to be and do something big, but in reality, there’s really not a fair equal education for everyone. This is because a person’s income depends on what school they go to if they have a low income than their neighborhood will have a low income, causing the schools to not have a lot of money, which then causes a low-budget education. When you live in a high income area, the school will be rich, and will be able to provide the students with more learning devices versus the low income area. There is a huge opportunity gap within education and we have to do something about it!

Injustices are also a very big issue that we are facing today. We say that everyone has an opportunity to be and do something big, but in reality, there’s really not a fair equal education for everyone. This is because a person’s income depends on what school they go to if they have a low income than their neighborhood will have a low income, causing the schools to not have a lot of money, which then causes a low-budget education. When you live in a high-income area, the school will be rich and will be able to provide the students with more learning devices versus the low-income area. There is a huge opportunity gap within education and we have to do something about it!Racism and sexism is something we have dealt with for a very long time. You’d think that there

Racism and sexism is something we have dealt with for a very long time. You’d think that there wouldn’t be any of this in 2017, but unfortunately, there is. The Confederate flag is still being used to this day. When the north and the south split it was because the south wanted slavery and the north did not! That was the main reason of the civil war, supporting this flag is supporting slavery, therefore, it is extremely racist. For women, when a woman hits a man she will get a lighter sentencing than a man hitting a woman. This is an example of sexism, and it is ridiculous; women should get as much as a sentencing as a man would. There a many more examples of racism and sexism, but these are the main ones that I wanted to tackle.America was supposed to stand for freedom and equality, ever since the constitution was made. Citizens are not truly able to be themselves because society has taken a toll on us. There

America was supposed to stand for freedom and equality, ever since the constitution was made. Citizens are not truly able to be themselves because society has taken a toll on us. There are so many injustices, I can not even count all of them. It is not fair that people with low income do not have as much of a chance than the rich. This is making the rich seem superior when we are all equal no matter what are paycheck is. It is not fair that African Americans still have to deal with racism when skin color does not define a person for who they are! It is not fair that women have to be degraded and considered ‘weak’ when we can be strong and protect ourselves without a man. There are many issues that we need to speak about, that we need to solve or else this country will keep going downhill.
Citations:

“Top Ten Problems With America.” Top Ten Problems With America – TheTopTens®, The top tens, www.thetoptens.com/problems-with-america/. Accessed 2 Oct. 2017.

“John Haines Poem: The American Dream.” Alaska Dispatch News, Alaska Dispatch News, 29 Sept. 2016, www.adn.com/arts/article/john-haines-poem-american-dream/2011/03/04/.

“The Problem: The American Dream Is at Risk.” Opportunity Nation, Opportunity Nation , opportunitynation.org/the-problem/.

“Does Sexism Still Exist?” Debate.org, www.debate.org/opinions/does-sexism-still-exist.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Problems With America by Abi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Michael 7 days ago

Abi, I think that you did a good job of showing how equality in America doesn’t only depend on race but should also be the same for men and women. I think it is also good how you showed that in order to become a more functioning society we need to come together more as a community and that involves our American beliefs being similar and or the same. Overall great article and i really enjoyed reading about your take on American creed.

2. Alexander 7 days ago

This is a very interesting argument. You express how much these issues bother you in such great detail. In honesty, I agree with most parts of your argument. I would say that men don’t have to play sport to be attractive, and they also shouldn’t feel dominant. I would also like to say that I don’t think people really care if a woman wears a bra or not, but that’s my opinion. Your argument is AMAZING and it really spoke out. Great Job.

3. Ethan 2 weeks ago

Good work Abi!
    I really appreciate all your points but I specifically loved the way you thought of sexism as a two way street, WHhile acts of sexisim are dominated by men, it is not fair for Women to desire equality in some aspects but not ALL aspects. While Mason does bring up an interesting point about the history of the confederate flag, it is similar to saying that our current American Flag does not represent us, but rather the old flag with the stars in a circle. This article really makes you think about what else we do just because we think we have to, due to social pressures.

4. Mason 2 weeks ago

The confederate flag is used by no one, the “Rebel flag” is used by a lot of people, one represents purely the confederacy, and the other supports anti federalist groups and ideals. The civil war wasn’t a result of the North having differing opinions on slavery, but on how governments structure should be, promoting a federalist system as we currently have, rather than the proposed confederate system that the south preferred, which would allow states to have a lot more power, and making sure people from all walks of life, and all areas, would have an equal say in things, no smaller state being overpowered by the larger. Sure the southern states promoted slavery, but that created their primary source of income, and with European powers moving towards the complete abolition of the slavery around that time, the system wouldn’t have lasted much longer. Also on the matter of the practice of slavery, should I mention that the North promoted the practice of indentured servitude? The practice was nearly identical to that of slavery, and the conditions that servants put up with were as bad as most slaves, not to mention their extremely long contracts were often extended to the point that they died before they were finished.

5. Mason 2 weeks ago

I’ve told my girlfriend multiple times that I don’t care if she wears a bra or not, and she still does, primarily because if she doesn’t it would be painful to walk or run anywhere. Most women wear bras, not because it’s taboo not to, but because it helps many women.