Shadow Box

Yureida Gastelum

I have chosen to include a Mexico flag on my shadow box because it represents me and where all my coulters come from. The four blue flowers that are in the top represents the parties we have. It also represents El Dia de Los Muertos (The Day of The Dead). Our culture may seem boring and not interesting to other people, but in reality they are fun and enjoyable. We put different bright colored flowers because we like to have happy colors and items to stand out. It makes it look embellishing. People place those in the streets to decorate 5 de Mayo(Celebrating independence day). We use that to decorate. Another thing that I put was Nochebuenas (Poinsettias). The Nochebuenas (Poinsettias) represent Christmas(the day Jesus was born) because it represents the day he arrived. I also put rice and beans because that represents the most topic food in Mexico. Wherever you go in Mexico, every plate will have rice and beans if not, they will offer you. I decided to put pesos (Mexican money) to show that we go to Mexico where my parents are from. People assume that we are boring, that we don’t go out but in reality, we like to explore new places. We like to travel to Mexico by car because we see new things every time. People also assume we don’t embark  because they think we are immigrants from being Mexican. I took a decision to write my first and middle name Yureida Jamilett because it’s part of my identities. Yureida is a two-in-one name which makes it very unique. My middle name Jamilett is also unique but not as much as Yureida. I thought that my last name Gastelum should go in between the three colored flags because it comes from Mexico. The candle is behind the Virgen because in my religion we use the candles to give thanks by something she did/made. Last but not least, the pictures represent how we all stick together and have fun. I put the rosary because it represents my couture as well! That’s when I did my first communion. I am proud of doing it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Yureida Gastelum Culture Shadowbox by Yureida is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Crystal 2 months ago

Hey Yureida my name is Crystal and i really like how you did your shadow box.I see that you put some of your culture stuff and i like that because people should not forget where they’re from their roots. From what i see you are mexican what part of mexico?.Had you ever been there do u like it? So basicly u made your shadowbox cultural because you want to show your culture.I really like that you made your shadowbox look so happy because it gives it more color positive things.I currently did the same project as u but in Fremont High School.
    -Crystal

2. Juana 2 months ago

Hi, My name is Juana and I’m writing from Fremont High School. I really like how you put a lot of colorful flowers. I really liked everything in the shadowbox represents something of you. I really liked the interesting things that happened to you and how you have pride of being a mexican girl. you did an awesome job. What does your name mean? Who picked your second name? why?
    -Juana

3. Evelyn 2 months ago

Hi Yureida Gastelum I really liked your shadowbox and the way you explained all your work.It’s really interesting to see the way you set up your shadowbox and the things you added like the Mexican money.You did a great job.I have some questions for you, How long did it take you to do this project? , Do you still follow the traditions from Mexico? , Why did you decide to explain your name? .I did something similar to your shadowbox but I did mines at Fremont High School.

-Evelyn Diaz

4. Olga 3 months ago

Dear Yureida Gastelum,
    I really like how you did your shadowbox because you included interesting things about your culture or country that is Mexico. But also of how you decorated it it looks really nice especially the Flowers and La Virgen De Guadalupe because that is the first things that caught my attention. And I agree with you that people might think differently about your culture because they don’t know it that well but you putting out the ideas and the important dates that Mexico celebrates it makes other people understand your culture and how are the festivals are. And it was really interesting reading your story because it’s about your heritage and country.

Some questions that I have are:
    Do you celebrate the festivals are important days in Mexico here in America with you Family?
    When you said that when you and your Family travel to Mexico you go by car because you like to see new things. So what are the things you like to see when you go there?
    What do you think and feel about immigrants that are coming in the USA this past years?

I hope you write more stories about you because your stories are unique and interesting. Thank you for writing and sharing about your shadowbox with others.

Olga M