Most of the documents made for the United States documents have the same core values involved. For example, the “I Have a Dream” speech, Emancipation Proclamation, and the Bill of Rights all talk about themes of equality, justice, and freedom to it’s fullest extent. In the “I Have a Dream” speech, Martin Luther King speaks about equality and justice equal among all races. The Emancipation Proclamation states that the slaves are freed, thus equality between all persons, and justice for everyone, no matter what race they are. The Bill of Rights tells all the rights of every citizen of the United States that the government may not intervene with, meaning freedom and equal rights for every citizen and justice for the government to not be able to intervene with the rights. I believe these values make up our American Creed today. 

When Martin Luther King states “We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we’ve come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice,” (King 2). This quote shows how the African-Americans have been given freedom, but never actually were able to receive the freedom that they were given. He refers to the freedom that was given in the Emancipation Proclamation and says that the African-Americans were told that there were “insufficient funds” when they tried to cash their check for freedom. However, Martin Luther King says that it has been way too long and now is the time for them to “cash their check” for freedom, equality, and justice in the land of opportunity.

The Bill of Rights and the Emancipation Proclamation demonstrate those three same values that Martin Luther King did, even though they were 100 and 200 years before he even said the “I Have a Dream” speech. All of the texts talk about the three same values, freedom, equality, and justice. I believe that they represent our American Creed and the values of our country.

“Bill of Rights.” National Archives and Records Administration, www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights.html

King, Martin L., Jr. “I Have a Dream.” Speech. Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D. C. 28 Aug. 1963

Lincoln, Abraham. Emancipation Proclamation, January 1, 1863.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Values Come From Our American Creed? by Eli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sophia 1 year ago

Eli,
    I really liked your post! I thought that you used the different quotes from different texts very well. It made it more interesting to read. I also really liked how you connected the “I Have A Dream” Speech and the Emancipation Proclamation in your second paragraph since both texts relate to slavery and equality. In today’s world, I think that we really need to hear these messages. Our country is more divided than it’s ever been, and I believe that we need common values like Freedom and Equality to bind us together. Thank you for your post and I look forward to seeing your future work!

2. Nolan 1 year ago

Eli,
    I really liked your post. I liked how you included specific quotes from the texts that you used. I think that most of the documents that helped us build this country have the same ideas in each one. I thought it was cool how you talked about how when the African American’s were suppose to get their freedom and everyone was gonna be equal that they really weren’t. I think that the choice of using the Martin Luther King speech was a good choice to use because it can be used for so many things and that’s good that you choose it. Overall, I think that your post was really well done and that it has really good evidence behind it to help support your claim.

3. Keaton 1 year ago

This was a very well thought out essay Eli. I believe that Martin Luther King was one of the smartest men in American history. The quote that you used in your second paragraph was very interesting. The idea that the Emancipation Proclamation gave equal rights to blacks, but was not enforced until the 1960’s is absurd.

P.S. Where did the Martin Luther King quote come from?

Eli 1 year ago

Keaton, the Martin Luther King Jr. quote is found in his “I Have a Dream” speech. The speech actually lasts a lot longer than I thought it did when I actually began to research it for this paper. It’s around 6 pages.