America is and forever will be the land of opportunities. The American Dream is different for everyone, and as Robert J. Shiller said in his article The Transformation of the American Dream, this world-renowned dream has changed over the years and doesn’t mean the same thing as it did a century ago (Shiller). Since 1917, we have gone through 18 Presidents, 2 World Wars, a Great Depression, a “Cold War” in which not a single soul was harmed, and terrorist attacks on our country that will never be forgotten. Yet we still stand here today as a nation, stronger than ever, waiting for whatever challenge we may have to face next, waiting to take whatever is thrown at us and not only persevere through it, but continue to strive as a nation. No matter what our government has to deal with, no matter how our individual opinions differ, no matter if we’re white, black, yellow, orange, tall, or short, we will always be given a chance to make the most out of our lives, we will always have opportunities – from pursuing any career you want to fulfilling your American Dream to living the way that you choose to live – that make us who we are, and who we all are is defined by one word: American.

From the principle foundation of America, the rights of all people were described in solid writing in our Declaration and our Constitution. These rights were not only defined, but they were named as “inalienable” so that the government could never take away any person’s freedom. Furthermore, it was established that if a body of government became too powerful, it was the responsibility of the people to alter or abolish it. By the government granting us our freedom to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in our Declaration of Independence (US 1776), it set the precedent of an economic, social, and political freedom of all people that has forever stood and forever will continue to stand. Our Constitution gives every single citizen the ability to live a life without restrictions, regulations, or intervention by the federal government, which ties into our American Dream by laying down the opportunity for any citizen to pursue any career that they might choose. With no large government to force people to be a farmer or a doctor or a part of the nobility, citizens of America have always been and will always be free to outline their own life, no matter who is in office. Although there has been some controversy lately over our president, America is still a constitutional republic, and we will always have the right to express our voice as citizens. As Michelle Kumar – author for The Daily Iowan – proclaimed in her recent article discussing the current state of the American Dream, “After all, we are a democracy, and that means the people make a country, not the president” (Kumar). Even though over half the people in this country did not vote for Donald Trump, we can not lay blame on one man if we are upset with the way this country is headed because we still have a claim to those inalienable rights so prominently mentioned in our Declaration and so thoroughly described in our Bill of Rights. After all, we are free Americans, and if we do not like the direction of our nation, we will always have the opportunity to alter or abolish our system of government.

One intrical part to the social structure of America is the equality of all people, no matter what their race or religion. Although during the founding of our nation it was very common for people to own slaves, our doctrine of beliefs was still centered around the principle that all people are created equally, as written in the Declaration of Independence (US 1776), it just took some time for our government to grant all people equal rights. However, we still have not gained full equality, as we still see examples today of women earning less than men in the workplace or African Americans facing discrimination in their lives. Despite these hardships that are often prominent in our society, any person in this country will still have opportunities as promised in the defining documents of our country. One specific example is demonstrated in the life of Malcolm Little, a young African American boy living in the Lansing area during the Great Depression. His life story is told in the book X: A Novel, written by Malcolm Little’s daughter Ilyasah Shabazz, and his hard fought life is very thoroughly described in various scenarios throughout this book, yet through hunger, relocation, the loss of his parents, and discrimination, Malcolm found the opportunity to relocate to Boston and live with his sister where he began to be exposed to politics and develop his own beliefs, which in turn developed the world-renowned civil rights activist Malcolm X. Even though Malcolm faced about the hardest conditions that a person could face, he had an opportunity to express his disgust with the way he had to live and the way that others of his race had to live, and by taking this opportunity and pursuing his American Dream of spreading equality, Malcolm X succeeded in defying poverty and proving that no matter who you are or where you live, the American Dream is out there, you just have to go find it.

Perhaps the most important opportunity that we enjoy as Americans is the opportunity to live, which doesn’t mean that we’re allowed to be born, but signifies that we have the opportunity to pursue any form of life that we desire. Americans are indeed free, and freedom can be defined by the choices that we are allowed to make on any given day that might impact our lives. If we choose to make dinner one night, we can make dinner. If we choose to have a family reunion, we can have a family reunion. If we choose to be Christian on Monday-Friday and Muslim on Saturday and Sunday, we can very well do that as well. It may sound silly to be praising all of these rights, but many foreign countries tell their citizens what to think, where to live, who to acquaint yourself with, where to work, and what religion to worship. One common example that comes to everyone’s mind right away is North Korea, where their Communist government restricts their citizens to a point where there are no citizens, only government. Our claims to our rights in the Constitution go deeper than someone being allowed to plead the 5th to a police officer or another person keeping a gun in their household, our rights as citizens of the United States permit us to live the lives that we always dreamed of, to picture our American Dream and to see it achieved 20 years down the road, to look at some stars and stripes and feel like we’re home. All of these actions demonstrate the opportunities that will always be available to us, the people of America, living in one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all (Pledge), because all of us are Americans, and Americans will always have the opportunity to live the absolute best life they can live, and this right is and forever will be protected in the Constitution of the United States of America.

Lam, Katherine. “The Transformation of the ‘American Dream’.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 4 Aug. 2017.

Kumar, Michelle. “Kumar: The American Dream Is Not Dead Yet.” The Daily Iowan, The Daily Iowan, 15 Sept. 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities by Owen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Autumn 5 months ago

Dear Owen,

I am very amazed by your blog post, “The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities”, because I really love how you didn’t just portray America as a perfect country with no flaws. You were able to balance the good with the bad in the way that you showed that although America is a free and equal country that has all of the opportunity in the world, we still have some growing to do before we can say that everyone is treated completely equally and given the same opportunities.

One sentence that stood out to me was: “However, we still have not gained full equality, as we still see examples today of women earning less than men in the workplace or African Americans facing discrimination in their lives.” I think this is a great quote because it shows the harsh reality of some of the things that go on in America and how we have ways to go to improve it.

Another sentence that intrigued me was: Perhaps the most important opportunity that we enjoy as Americans is the opportunity to live, which doesn’t mean that we’re allowed to be born, but signifies that we have the opportunity to pursue any form of life that we desire.” This stood out to me because America is the land of the free where opportunities present themselves at all times and people have the choice to pursue whatever that want to.

I do definitely agree with you that America is the land of opportunity and the place where everyone has freedom, however there are more steps that must be taken before we can say that everyone is equal. I say this is because you made great points supporting both sides of the argument and I love how you weren’t biased in your writing.

Thank you for your writing, I look forward to seeing what you write next because you made some very good points in your writing.

2. Vincent 5 months ago

Dear Owen,

I am intrigued about your post, “The United States of America: A Nation of Opportunities,” because of how you described equal opportunities and rights given from the federal government as a result of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Overall, I liked how you acknowledged that the nation is not yet fully equal, and mention both the negative and positive aspects. But I also feel that our human nature as a whole will cause us to never be equal.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Even though over half the people in this country did not vote for Donald Trump, we can not lay blame on one man if we are upset with the way this country is headed because we still have a claim to those inalienable rights so prominently mentioned in our Declaration and so thoroughly described in our Bill of Rights. ” I thought this was interesting because… it showed that we, the citizens still have a certain amount of power in the form of rights. These rights can not be taken away, not even by the president. I agree that we can’t simply blame “one man if we are upset with the way this country is headed”, but would like to add that we should also blame ourselves, especially those that decided not to vote at all. I mean, people who are over 18 have the right to vote, so they should at least use it to express their opinions when they can.

Another idea that I thought was interesting was when you mentioned that “perhaps the most important opportunity that we enjoy as Americans is the opportunity to live, which doesn’t mean that we’re allowed to be born, but signifies that we have the opportunity to pursue any form of life that we desire. Americans are indeed free, and freedom can be defined by the choices that we are allowed to make on any given day that might impact our lives.” This stood out for me because of you mentioned it can be defined, and then you gave your own definition for what freedom is. I liked how you did this, and how you are open-minded that not everyone has the same definition.

Personally, I do somewhat agree with you that America is a nation of opportunities, and similar to what you said about the American Dream, “you just have to go and find it”. One reason I say this is because you mentioned earlier, that the “Constitution gives every single citizen the ability to live a life without restrictions, regulations, or intervention by the federal government, which ties into our American Dream by laying down the opportunity for any citizen to pursue any career that they might choose.” You also noted that “we still have not gained full equality, as we still see examples today of women earning less than men in the workplace or African Americans facing discrimination in their lives.” I agree with you on how the federal government gives us rights and does not intervene in our daily affairs (unless we commit a major crime). However, the reason why I don’t strongly agree with this is that although it is true that opportunities exist, you prove with the second statement that Americans are being denied those opportunities. For example, if a US citizen is in jail, they are still citizens of the US, yet they are denied their right to vote because of their crime, for fear they will commit other crimes or escape while they are temporarily released to vote. So even if rights exist, they are still violated and opportunities denied as a result.

Plus, even if everyone had equal opportunities to everything, this type of society most likely would not work for long, because every human is different from each other, and depend on many different needs of varying amounts of resources. Not to mention there are not enough resources to go around for everybody when wasting supplies like this (as of today). I also would like to mention the economy, because if two people work two very different jobs of different intensity, and yet have the right to equal pay, this would be unfair. The person working the more difficult job would be under-compensated for their work, while the person working the easier job would be over-compensated. Same thing applies if two people doing the same job gets paid the same amount for doing very different qualities of work. Plus, if everyone had equal opportunities, greed for power and resources will cause people to overestimate their true value in society, thinking they are suddenly better than others now that they have resources. The people who were originally in power would also revolt in order to maintain that power, and wars would follow until both sides reach an agreement at the cost of more resources. This is only at the best case scenario.

I apologize for going on a bit of a tangent and focusing too much on socialism. To summarize, I do agree with you about the US being a land of opportunities, but not equal opportunities. Thanks for sharing your writing and reading this long reply. I am looking forward to seeing what you write next as well as what you think about this. Let me know if I misinterpreted anything. It’s always good to listen to another perspective.

3. Najm Hameed 5 months ago

Dear Owen,
    I am unfortunate and miserable to say that I am more than overly displeased with your article, “The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities”, because it disingenuously leads the readers to think that everyone born in this country (or arrived here legally) has a general ability to succeed and fulfill their dream which is clearly false. The argument that some may succeed with hardwork and dedication is an agreeable one at that, but assuming that all will or can is erroneous.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “No matter what our government has to deal with, no matter how our individual opinions differ, no matter if we’re white, black, yellow, orange, tall, or short, we will always be given a chance to make the most out of our lives, we will always have opportunities – from pursuing any career you want to fulfilling your American Dream to living the way that you choose to live – that make us who we are, and who we all are is defined by one word: American.” I think this is inaccurate because The “fact” that all people can succeed no matter what race or color you are is very extreme, being that those who have tried to fulfill their dreams or help the dreams of others have failed only and solely due to their skin color. There are people in this country/society who can commit the same exact crime at the same exact time and place but yet still have two different sentences, which clearly shows that there has to be something wrong in the justice system, and the concept of justice or equality in this country in general.

Another sentence that I noticed was: “By the government granting us our freedom to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in our Declaration of Independence (US 1776), it set the precedent of an economic, social, and political freedom of all people that has forever stood and forever will continue to stand.” This stood out for me because not only were the views of those who created/authored the Declaration biased and made it so that specifically people of their caliber (most likely white, of the male gender) could succeed in their country.

I do definitely agree with you that women are given less rights than men. One reason I say this is because they are treated differently and also are given less pay. Another reason I agree with you is because the history of discouragement that women have faced is a very long road at that. Although I disagree with most, thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because a respectable discussion or debate is always nice to have/see.

Owen 5 months ago

Najm,

You may have slightly misread my piece or misunderstood the meaning. I did not say nor assume that all people will work hard to find success, rather that it is possible for anyone living in America to do so. I invite you to look at my American ancestry piece titled “Roots”, detailing the story of my great grandfather, who turned a small investment into a prestigious company through hard work, perseverance, and the opportunity provided to him by this country.

Furthermore, while it is true that America was founded on a contradiction in a sense and only promised rights to white males, the Declaration and Constitution have evolved to provide rights for all citizens living in the United States, which contributes to making this country so great. There is no other place in this world that values each citizen equally and provides every one of them with a voice and with opportunities to pursue what they choose. While not every person may take advantage of that opportunity, it still exists and was the basis of my piece.

Thank you for your response.

Owen

4. Burhan 5 months ago

Dear Owen,

I am intrigued by your post “The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities” because it highlights our efforts to achieve equality within the history of our country. It is thought provoking.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “we still have not gained full equality, as we still see examples today of women earning less than men in the workplace or African Americans facing discrimination in their lives”. I think this is interesting because it shows that even though we have made a lot of progress in our pursuit of equality we still have a lot to do.

Another sentence that stood out to me is “Americans are indeed free, and freedom can be defined by the choices that we are allowed to make on any given day that might impact our lives¨. This stood out to me because it puts into words the fact that freedom is something that we define for ourselves and its not something we can let other people define for us because then we may lose our freedoms.

I agree that the US can be a land of opportunity but we need to make a greater effort to achieve true equality before the opportunities are available to everyone.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i would like to see your views on other topics.

5. Nina 7 months ago

Dear Owen,
    I am in awe by your post, “The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities” because of your elaboration on what it means to truly be an American with dreams and opportunities. What stood out to me was when you revealed how we, as Americans, all have the choice to live the way we want and to be the way we want.

One sentence that stood out to me was “Americans are indeed free, and freedom can be defined by the choices that we are allowed to make on any given day that might impact our lives.” I think this is factual because freedom to us should be defined by our choices and courses of action that may affect us day by day. We don’t need anyone’s definition or approval on what freedom truly is. In actuality the choice is ours to make.

Another sentence that I liked was “we will always be given a chance to make the most out of our lives, we will always have opportunities.” The stood out to me as well because you made the claim that we will always have chances to carry out our dreams and how there seemed to be so much conviction and assurance that comes with this claim.

I do firmly agree with you on this matter, one reason is because of the hope and assurance you had given me when you’ve elaborated on how America has many windows of opportunities opened for everyone.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to what you write next because you seem to have a very punctual way with your words and because of where you currently stand in this matter really resounds with me.

6. Kevin 7 months ago

Dear Owen,

I am impressed and in great agreement with your post, “the United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities” because you are very right in many places about America and the American Dream. You take many sources from newspapers to the Declaration of Independence to thoroughly explain your views and agreements.

One sentence you typed that stood out was “ We will always have opportunities…that make us who we are, and who we all are is defined by one word: American.” I think this is very true because the freedoms we all share and the choices we make with those freedoms give us our individuality, but we are all still American.

Another sentence that I liked was “These rights were not only defined, but they were named as “inalienable” so that the government could never take away any person’s freedom.” This stood out for me because of the positivity of these rights and the power they have to maintain freedom.

I strongly agree with you on you saying that this country is a land of opportunities because like I said before, the choices we make with the freedoms we all share make us unique, while still being American. I also agree with you because you stress the importance of all people in America being created equally.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you seem to have a good grip on information about America. This article was mainly in a positive light, so it would be great if you would take time to type about some negative aspects of the country and what we could do to resolve these issues.

7. Ameer 7 months ago

Dear Owen,
    I am interested by your blog post, ¨The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities¨, because it really shows how the United States has grown as a nation from tragic disasters in its history. Also, i like how it also talks about the fact how the world is still not in equality in the aspect of women getting equal pay as men, blacks getting equal rights as whites.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, ¨ …we still have not gained full equality, as we still see examples today of women earning less than men in the workplace or African Americans facing discrimination in their lives.¨ I think this is vigorating because it really gets down to the source about how the government does not take any notice to how our community is shaped as a whole.
    Another sentence i noticed was, ¨…any person in this country will still have opportunities as promised in the defining documents of our country. ¨ This stood out for me because the Declaration of Independence does indeed give all people of the US equal opportunity to get jobs and prosper as a human being, but at the same time not all people get those opportunities, and its not fair.
    I totally agree with you that a intrical part of our social structure is the equality of all people, no matter their race or color. One reason i say this is that in our social community, the way we interact with others can solely depend on the race of another and how view that person as a human. Another reason i agree with this is that it shows how people within all our communities are connected to one another and how we can be together as one in harmony.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because, your work is very intriguing to me and i like your mindset about our country. I think you should add more real life situations to prove your standpoint even further in your writing.

8. Diamond Morrison 7 months ago

Dear Owen:

I am amused by your blog, “The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities,” because it was interesting. It seem like you did lots of research on the topic. You emphasize on detail and it’s truthful.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “America is and forever will be the land of opportunities.” I think this is agreeable because America is the land of opportunity for most, but not for all. Although we all should stick together and fill that gap.

Another sentence that I liked was: “ Even though over half the people in this country did not vote for Donald Trump, we can not lay blame on one man if we are upset with the way this country is headed because we still have a claim to those inalienable rights so prominently mentioned in our Declaration and so thoroughly described in our Bill of Rights. After all, we are free Americans, and if we do not like the direction of our nation, we will always have the opportunity to alter or abolish our system of government.” This stood out for me because I don’t know if I agree or disagree. I would agree because if we don’t like something we could come together as a whole nation to try to change it. I disagree because even if we try not everyone would and the government could overpower us.

I do strongly agree with you that Perhaps the most important opportunity that we enjoy as Americans is the opportunity to live, which doesn’t mean that we’re allowed to be born, but signifies that we have the opportunity to pursue any form of life that we desire.One reason I say this is you as your own person should be who you want to be no matter what. Another reason I agree with you is you only live once so, live your life and don’t let anyone put you down.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like that it was very informing and detailed. Also, it made me want to read more and really think about some ideas you had.

9. Christopher 7 months ago

Dear Owen,

I was very inspired by your article, “The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities” because it defines the American dream on a whole different level.I also liked it because it went into detail on what an American truly is. A sentence you wrote that stands out to me was “America is and forever will be the land of opportunities”. I think this is correct because America does have a lot of opportunities within it for people across the world. Another sentence that I liked was, “One intrical part to the social structure of America is the equality of all people, no matter what their race or religion” because this is such an integral part to our everyday lives but today it doesn’t seem like it the way things are looking. Everyone is supposed to be equal no matter what but it seems like everyone is just against each other nowadays. I do agree with you on the sentence, “Perhaps the most important opportunity that we enjoy as Americans is the opportunity to live.” One reason I agree with you is because it is the honest truth. We are able to do whatever we want to as long as we try our best. Thank you for writing, I hope to see you write again and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next because this will really stick with me.

10. Kenneth Moody 8 months ago

Hey Owen,

I have to say that I am deeply impressed by your article. I found it to be intelligently written, and I actually enjoyed reading it. It was very thought provoking. But, while impressed by the style of it, I have to admit that I do not agree with all of the content.

First and foremost, I would like to address where you said, “…no matter if we’re white, black, yellow, orange, tall, or short, we will always be given a chance to make the most out of our lives, we will always have opportunities – from pursuing any career you want to fulfilling your American Dream to living the way that you choose to live…” While I do believe that this should be the case when discussing America and/or life in general, it simply isn’t.

There are many factors that hold black people back when it comes to succeeding. As a black person, I know that we endure tribulations that wouldn’t even be considered as fathomable to most whites. To say that we all have equal opportunities in America while you know that racism is still prevalent (which I hope you do), is ignorant.

I do like how you talked about how the American Dream is different for everybody. People tend to act like it should be the same for everyone, and I liked how you deviated from that ongoing (wrong) idea.

I enjoyed your article as a whole. It was very mature and insightful. I would love to read more content from you.

11. Myka 10 months ago

Dear Owen ,

I am not surprised by the things you said in your article but i do agree with the things you say. These are the things that people in the usa think everyday.For example, Perhaps the most important opportunity that we enjoy as Americans is the opportunity to live, which doesn’t mean that we’re allowed to be born, but signifies that we have the opportunity to pursue any form of life that we desire. Americans are indeed free, and freedom can be defined by the choices that we are allowed to make on any given day that”. This is how i feel as an American. People in america probably think this everyday.

The one sentence that stood out to me was ” the united states permits us to live the lives we always dreamed of , to picture our american dream and see it achieved twenty years down the road. ” This explains how Americans see and know how they want to live but there are still obstacles here that prevent this from happening.
    One thing i disagree with is “ After all, we are free Americans, and if we do not like the direction of our nation, we will always have the opportunity to alter or abolish our system of government”. I’m not sure what you were trying to say exactly with this point but from what i gathered i disagree in asense. I mostly disagree because i feel that not many are heated in an attempt to speak against the government.It is true that we have the opportunity to do so doesn’t mean we are capable to abolish it.
    Thank you for writing i look forward to seeing more of your views and points on this topic or any other topic in general. I admired how you took your time to express the way you feel about such underrated topic.

12. Meshach 10 months ago

Dear Owen,

I am satisfied with your writing, “The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities” because it appears to hold qualities of a truthful piece of writing in most of its aspects. It is also detailed enough to paint a picture for those who are not habitants of the country

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “…we still have not gained full equality, as we still see examples today of women earning less than men in the workplace or African Americans facing discrimination in their lives. ” I think this is appreciable because it allows for the audience to see the good and bad in the U.S., and it is not told in its entirety all the problems of this country, but it isn’t downplayed.

Another sentence that I noticed was: “ Malcolm X succeeded in defying poverty and proving that no matter who you are or where you live, the American Dream is out there, you just have to go find it.” This stood out for me because I felt like this one piece of information tells the story for majority of citizens in the United States.

I don’t fully agree with you that rights granted to citizens are inalienable. One reason I say this is that in the Constitution it states that all rights may be taken away from you and that you may be a slave in an event that a citizen is incarcerated. Another reason disagree with you is that there are things within this setup for certain people to fail and for some to remain in power and remain wealthy. Therefore, not allowing everyone to have a fair chance at achieving their goals as an individual.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, many topics are highly arguable and controversial, and it is a healthy way for ideas to be exchanged.

13. Parth 10 months ago

Dear Owen:

I am astounded with the level of your detail and description in your essay your letter on The American Dream, “The United States of America: a Nation of Opportunities
    ” because it includes thing from over 250 years ago, which emphasizes your detail. Moreover, explaining the job and importance of the declaration of independence reallys adds to the thoroughness of your document. And lastly explaining equality is an impr

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “One intrical part to the social structure of America is the equality of all people, no matter what their race or religion.” I think this is significant because it shows the core part of the melting pot of a nation that the US is today, a homage for people seeking religious freedom.

Another sentence that I looked at was: “Perhaps the most important opportunity that we enjoy as Americans is the opportunity to live”. It expressed one of the reasons why people say that america is a 1st world country, meaning that it has all the freedoms.

I don’t really agree with you that, “ Americans will always have the opportunity to live the absolute best life they can live” One reason I say this is because of religious freedom a lot of people come here and they get discriminated against. Another reason I disagree with you is because because so people don’t have a great started in life, so instead it should read most will always have the opportunity to live the absolute best life they can live

Thanks for taking the time to get a grade and write this powerful document. Hope to see you again on another document.

14. Isaiah 10 months ago

Dear Owen

I am very relieved about this post, “The united states of america” because it shows that people can look at the brighter side of things and be optimistic to society. The point of view about the world that we all have a fair chance at life is very intelligent. To me it’s always great to see a view about america that’s not “We are always being oppressed by whites

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Our Constitution gives every single citizen the ability to live a life without restrictions, regulations, or intervention by the federal government, which ties into our American Dream by laying down the opportunity for any citizen to pursue any career that they might choose. With no large government to force people to be a farmer or a doctor or a part of the nobility” I think this is agreeable because people do take for granted america where as in the U.K you literally can’t go to the bathroom at a certain time yet they don’t tell you this. America is fair that you can pick your career and be anything that you want to be

Another sentence that I liked was: “Malcolm X succeeded in defying poverty and proving that no matter who you are or where you live, the American Dream is out there, you just have to go find it.” This stood out for me because it is true. Even though malcolm went through poverty malcolm still had major opportunities throughout his like to be able to support himself individually.

I do strongly agree with you that we are free people and we have free opportunities to do anything that we want in life and that America is a good place. One reason I say this is that other countries (Iran, Iraq, Islam etc…) tell you what to do and/or what to say with punishment for not doing said things. Another reason I agree with you is that the people of america are the ones to make the country and not the president which is something i feel like everyone should know because if something happens most likely we’re ready to blame him, even though some of it is his fault there are a lot of things where it’s not.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i love seeing a new point of view about the feelings of america. It shows that there is a good and bad side to everything and most should stop looking at the bad.

-isaiah

Owen 10 months ago

Isaiah,
      Thank you so much for your reply. I’m very glad that my positive message was able to reach you, I myself was a little tired of hearing everyone complain about the injustices that they claim engulf the entire nation, so I decided to write this piece about all the wonderful things in our wonderful country, characteristics that commonly go unnoticed and are frequently taken for granted in this day and age. I suggest that you check out some articles about the current situation in the middle eastern countries that you mentioned, it really makes you appreciate everything that we have as Americans, even further beyond the points that I brought up.

15. Allison 12 months ago

Owen,

I really liked how much detail and time you put into your writing. I can tell you worked extremely hard on researching your topics. One spot that stood out to me is that you said a lot of people didn’t vote for Donald Trump but still have to live with it because the other half of Americans did vote. I thought this was interesting because people sometimes make it like a public official is just randomly appointed which isn’t always the case because there are people that have to vote for them. I also liked how you used well known documents to make your points more clear.

Owen 12 months ago

Thank you Allison, I think that it’s very important that people realize that although they might not like who’s not in office, they were elected nonetheless and America will still be America due to the checks and balances that exist in our government and I’m glad that I got that point across to you.

16. Lila 12 months ago

Owen,

I was really interested in your paper because of how intriguing your opening paragraph is. It really made me want to keep reading and your sentence fluency is amazing! I agree with your claim, and I also believe that equality and opportunity are extremely important. This really is a nation of opportunity. Great work!:)

Owen 12 months ago

Thank you Lila!! I appreciate the feedback and I’m glad that you enjoyed my post! It’s very important – especially in today’s world – to have a uniting force among our citizens and that Americans realize how truly amazing all of our opportunities are.