Shadow Box

Xin Yang

This Shadow Box represents my Race, Dominant Narrative and Sex and also my  Assigned Identity.  First thing you see from my  shadow box is the Chinese money and this represents my race. The Chinese money reminds me that I’m Asian and that I’m for China. I put this on the shadow box because it can always remind  me that I’m Asian and I was born in China. Also, I included basketball. The Dominant Narrative about basketball is that you have to be tall. But,  I am small and good at basketball too. Some Dominant Narrativa that exist are also about my Race. The Chinese flag shows that people make fun of me because they think that people that come for China needs to be enlightened and  intelligent. Sometimes that is not true because if  you come from China school can also be hard and you have to learn English. The thing that I put to represent my sex is the little Eiffel Tower. I put the Eiffel Tower because that represented my sex by telling all the reader that some men like the Eiffel Tower too. Additionally,  I added the Eiffel Tower there because my sister likes the Eiffel Tower too. So I think the Eiffel Tower also represents  my sister. The USA sign that I put on my shadow box is one of my assigned identities.  The USA sign represents to me that my dad wanted me to come to US and live with him because a lot of my family members live in Oakland so I needed  to come and live with him. The second reason  that I came  to US is because my dad told me that if I came to US I can make more money and can live a better life. But  it’s going to be hard because after you come to US you need to learn how to speak and how to read and write in English Also, after I came to the US I missed a lot of friends that I know from China because I had the best time in China and have really good friends in China.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The shadow box by Xin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Gerardo 1 month ago

Dear Xing,
    I am intrigued about your shadow box because it shows who you really are and how you want people to view you instead of others portraying you. Also it shows a lot about your culture that I feel that should stick with you forever and to not be forgotten about your origins. I really liked how you just let everything go into this box and be unafraid of what other say. Keep up the work.

2. Jorge 2 months ago

Dear Xin,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Jorge S and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was how you describe everything on the box.
    Something I have a question about is why do you like the Eiffel Tower. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is
    Thank You!

3. Emely 4 months ago

Hello Xin,
    My name is Emely, I really like how you talk about both your dominant and counter narratives. That was really nice that you decided to talk about them because you showed that boys can like things like the Eiffel Tower. A question I have for you is what does the chicken represent? Is it one of your favorite foods or does it mean something else to you? Overall I really liked what you added in your shadow box. I also learned a lot about you from reading you artist statement.

4. Julio 4 months ago

Hello Xin,my name is Julio and I go to Fremont High School I also did a shadow box.I really liked how you used your counter narratives.Your shadow box was cool keep up the good work.

5. Miguel 5 months ago

Dear xin, I am a student at Fremont High School and i really was impressed on how you’re shadowbox was designed and what really caught my eye was the chinese bill i’ve honestly never seen one so that’s pretty cool. but i have three questions
    1.How’s it like at life academy?
    2.How easy was this project for you?
    3.Where did you get that bill from?

Xin 1 month ago

In life academy was ok and it pretty cool because there is a lot of new thing s that Ieard.
      The project was not easy because it we need to look from the things that we put on there also I get the chinese bill from china .
      THank you from reading my shadow box.

6. Chanburak 5 months ago

Hey there I’m Jordan, a senior from Fremont High School and I really enjoyed your shadow box project because it had a lot of things that I enjoy myself such as basketball, (the NBA season is back wooo), boneless pizza, and buffalo wings. I have just a couple of questions about your shadow box

1.How did it feel when you moved to Oakland all the way from China?
    2.What's your favorite team in the NBA?
    3.How long have you been in Oakland and how do you like it over here?

7. Daniel 5 months ago

Hey there buddy, It you friendly neighborhood Daniel Gonzalez. Im really enjoying your shadow box. It seem so lit and cool. I did a shadow box to and you should go check it out when you get the chances. link in bio. lol. comment on my shadow box to. And My favorite part of your shadow box is the bonless pizza and your boneless mac n chess. Also I see your a high class baller lol. HMU(Hit me up) with a Comment. Link in bio 20% off on merch.

your friendly neighborhood,

8. Anthony 6 months ago

I really like your box and how it represents parts of your identity. Many people make many stereotypes, and I like how you countered them. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Xin 6 months ago

thank you for looking at my shadow box