Artist Statement

This clay sculpture represents me and my family. The sculpture is based on an alien called the xenomorph, basically the xenomorph will do anything for its queen and its whole hive which is its family to insure that they will stay safe from any threats. They also will try to impress the queen so that they can get a higher role for more honor. I will do anything for my family and I always want to make my parents proud of me. I really respect my parents because they are always working hard every day for me and my siblings. In the sculpture the alien is keeping guard of the eggs so that they don’t get tampered or harmed. The night represents the danger of of being outside during the night because of gangs, 3 people have died on the street that live in and one of them died in front of my drive way and I saw what happened. The trees in the back represent how my family started. We started having nothing, no home or food we had to live in a homeless shelter for a year i think. Then my parents found a job and were able to afford an apartment and food for the family. After that my parents were able to afford a house of their own and also were able to afford food and more stuff than before. Now I’m In high school getting my education to go to college and hopefully get a great job.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Shadow Box project by Salvador is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Anthony 9 months ago

Dear Salvador,

I am glad about your post “The Shadow Box Project” because it is good to see people that are not afraid to show their stories through symbolism, how you did. The more people that share their stories, the more are going to be less afraid to share their own. I am also glad to see that you created your own box with your own materials (like making a clay xenomorph and adding all of that cool background).

One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is “The sculpture is based on an alien called the xenomorph, basically the xenomorph will do anything for its queen and its whole hive which is its family to insure that they will stay safe from any threats. They also will try to impress the queen so that they can get a higher role for more honor. I will do anything for my family and I always want to make my parents proud of me. I really respect my parents because they are always working hard every day for me and my siblings.” I think this is a good way to connect your box back to your own life, and how it represents you. I also like how you described what a xenomorph is, what it does, and how it relates to you because I know that many people wouldn’t have understood your box if you just showed it to them without explaining.

Another sentence that I liked was “We started having nothing, no home or food we had to live in a homeless shelter for a year i think. Then my parents found a job and were able to afford an apartment and food for the family. After that my parents were able to afford a house of their own and also were able to afford food and more stuff than before. Now I’m In high school getting my education to go to college and hopefully get a great job.” This stood out to me because you talk about your personal life, letting others relate to you and see another perspective to your box. I also really liked the way that you phrased everything in that sentence because it sounds very professional.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I know that it will be even better than this post (even though it is already pretty good) and I know that you will talk about more things that might be happening in the current world.