Shadow Box

Kevin Wu

My shadow box represents who I am, my chosen identity, ethnicity, gender identity and my counter narratives against the dominant narratives. People look at me, they automatically think, I am Chinese/Asian. That is one of the many dominant narratives. First of all, is Chinese even a race? Second of all, I am Asian American not just Chinese, that’s my counter argument. When I see myself, there is more to me than just being labeled a race, sex, and nationality. It’s all about you. Decide for yourself who you want to be and don’t let any assigned identity force you to be a person. For me, being Christian is one of the things that I am most passionate about in my life, and that ethnicity ties me to who I am today. Next time you look at yourself in the mirror, ask yourself,  what is the biggest thing that defines who you are?

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Hidden Story by Kevin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maria 1 month ago

Dear kevin

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Maria and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was the paragraph where you was explaining what they are mean
    Something I have a question about is what grade are you ? Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is
    Thank You!

2. Janely 4 months ago

Dear Kevin Wu, I feel attracted by what you said about looking ourselves in a mirror and asking ourselves what is the biggest thing that defines who we are because many times we see ourselves in the mirror but we don’t take the time to reflect on who we are, and what are the thing, or who are the people that have done who we are.

3. Dear Kevin Wu,

I feel empowered by your article, ¨The Hidden Story¨, because it explains (and talks about) many assumptions. I also like how you used really proffessional words like ¨dominant narrative¨, ¨counter narrative¨, ¨chosen identity¨, and more. But you should try to explain the definition of those words because there may be people who don´t know what the words mean. Overall, this is a strong article, and I will give some reasons why next.
    I really like how you phrased your dominant narrative. I also think that when many people see asian people, they instantly assume they are chinese, when there are many different countries in Asia. That sentence also really stood out to me because it shows how YOU are countering those narratives, and how you are liberating yourself.
    Another sentence that really stood out to me was the last line. It is really powerful and challenges oneself to think harder. It also shows how writing can talk to the reader, and how you don´t just feel like you are reading, but feel that the article is responding and talking to you.
    Thanks for your writing. I really hope to see what you write next because I know how powerful your words can be. Hopefully your next article is as strong (or even stronger) than this one.

Signing out, Anthony.

Kevin 5 months ago

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for taking the time to read my little article. I appreciate your feedback about the definitions and I will try to include it in the next article that I write. You seem like a really cool person, maybe we can meet up sometime? I wonder how you answered my question at the end of the article. Feel free to comment your answer if you feel comfortable.