Our country was formed because our founding fathers decided that there were certain ideas, beliefs, and dreams that they had that they felt were being hindered by the country they were in. So they set out to create a new nation that was formed based on those principles. I personally feel like what it means to be an American is that you believe in the same things that our founding fathers believed in. These beliefs are as follows.

First, Americans believe that they deserve freedoms. As described in the Bill of RIghts, there are certain rights that should be given to all of those who are present in our country. They are the rights that were not given to our founding fathers in England and they thought they deserved and needed them. Second, Americans believe that they can strive to achieve the American Dream. This is the idea that one can utilize their freedoms in this country to obtain a state of comfort whether this is achieved by maintaining a stable job and having a nice home or being able to make an impact on the world. This is demonstrated in “The American Dream” by  Amy H., Wichita which is a poem that discusses how americans use the American Dream to fuel their drive to become successful and live comfortable.It states “It is the American Dream, What we all strive for and imagine”(Wichita para. 1). Third, Americans believe in becoming the best they can be. In the Preamble of the United States constitution, it states “We the people, in order to form a more perfect union…”(Madison para. 1). The reason this country was created was because Americans wanted a land that was better than what was already existing.

This concept drives Americans to fix the wrongs in our nation and improve the things that are going right. This will keep pushing those in our nation to make our nation more perfect and create a land that they feel is perfect for all. All of these Ideas combine to create what I feel are the core aspects of an American.

Works Cited:

• Amy H., Wichita, “The American Dream”. Teen Ink, September 1 2017.
  • Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of Independance. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Evening Post, 1776.
  • Founding, Fathers. The Bill of Rights. www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Country Our Founding Fathers Created by James is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. AJ Miranda 5 months ago

I couldn’t agree with you more. These qualities and opinions you described are things every American should embody to build this nation and move it in a positive direction.

2. Johan 6 months ago

Good job James. I found this article to be interesting because of the use of historical documents. You should look at cato.org because it gives a lot of important information about your topic.