You may dream of scoring the winning touchdown in the Superbowl, or you may dream of winning the Nobel Peace Prize for creating a cure for cancer. The beauty of America is that you can do all of that and more if you choose to. The United states is often described as a melting pot of the different cultures, but it should also be defined as a melting pot of different values and opinions.A quick description of America would consist of three words freedom,differences, and equality, yet not everyone would view America under these three words.

Freedom in America ranges widely.An example of freedom in America is the constitution, where most laws and rules are laid out for us to follow. An example of freedom throughout America in the bill of rights, is the first amendment.”Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”. Right here on a written document is 4 examples of the freedoms we are given in America, four more examples of freedom that some don’t even receive in their country. Today there’s many different arguments about unequal amounts of freedoms given to certain groups, and although the inequalities are not ideal, we do have to remember that there are people in other countries that can’t even use google because the government doesn’t allow it.

Another value of Americans is our differences between each other. You don’t walk into a classroom and see 30 kids with blond hair and blue eyes any more, you see a wide range of races and ethnicities that all make us different in our own way. One thing that easily comes to mind is our food choices. Not every american likes a salad or a big mac from mcdonalds. As written out by  Kim Ann Zimmermann” American cuisine was influenced by Europeans and Native Americans in its early history. Today, there are a number of foods that are commonly identified as American, such as hamburgers, hot dogs, potato chips, macaroni and cheese, and meat loaf. “As American as apple pie” has come to mean something that is authentically American.” Our food choices in america range so widely just like our ethnicities and life choices, but this is a big thing that makes Americans,American.

The third word I would use to describe the American Dream is equality. Whether this means equality between races,genders,sexualities, whatever the case. Equality is what makes Americans united. This value to me isn’t one that’s completely set in stone just yet. I think most Americans are working towards complete equality but we still have a long way to go. All that matters is we are trying to work our way there. As stated by Anika Chaganti, in What Does Equality Mean To America?,  “Although equality is a key tenet dating back to the founding of our country, it is not fully honored, even to this day. Many minority groups do not receive complete equality, both economically and socially. Equality is a lofty goal our country still strives toward.” I do believe equality is a value of americans, i also do believe we haven’t achieved our full potential of equality,happiness, and freedom and once we do then everyone will be living the american dream.

Staff, LII. “First Amendment.” LII / Legal Information Institute, 5 Feb. 2010, www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment.

Zimmermann, Kim Ann. “American Culture: Traditions and Customs of the United States.”LiveScience, Purch, 13 July 2017, www.livescience.com/28945-american-culture.html.

“What Does Equality Mean To America?” The Odyssey Online, 30 Aug. 2017, www.theodysseyonline.com/equality-america.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The American Dream For all by Allison is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jacob 12 months ago

After reading your article, I have to first say that I’m appreciative to the neat and clean article you’ve presented. It helps show that this is in fact a topic that you have spent time thinking critically about, and not just wrote down the first thing that came to your head. Although I would say your first paragraph is a little… odd. As in some statements seem to contradict each other, (For example, after praising America’s ‘different ideas’, you almost criticized, or at the least looked down on, people who wouldn’t call America the same 3 words you do) the rest of the article was well done and a fairly enjoyable read. Good work.

2. Ethan 12 months ago

Dear Allison, Your article has very good examples and sources from where you acquired your information. As I was reading I noticed that before each paragraph you dive right into the topic, next time maybe try to explain more or introduce your topic and what you are about to talk about. Overall, great job.

3. Hunter 12 months ago

Allison, your post is great! You definitely highlight well the American dream. Do you think the American Dream really is available for everyone, though? Your title certainly suggests it’s something you would like, but particularly as a result of your last paragraph, it seems like you might agree with me that not everyone has the same access to the American Dream that his or her neighbor might have. Despite this, it is, like you say, important to consider that Google isn’t available in some countries. We certainly have a big advantage in our security of life over many places.
    Here is a great article to consider by the political forecaster Fivethirtyeight:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/inequality-is-killing-the-american-dream/
    This paradigm shift in model economics throughout America’s history is what has made me so cynical about the American dream, but I’d love to know what an optimist like yourself has to say.

4. Lila 12 months ago

Allison,

I really liked your post because I agree with your choices of what you believe the important american values are. In my paper, I also used equality as one of the values I believe is most significant. One thing that you said that stood out to me was when you talked about our differences and how we all have many different opinions, even on food! I also liked how you used the first amendment as evidence to back up your claim. I look forward to seeing your next piece of work, because we seem to have the same sort of opinions and I love how your voice shines through your writing and makes it your own.