My  name  is  Takeo  and  I  live  in  Oakland, CA. This  shadow box  that  I  created  represents  how  I  got  graduated  from middle  school  and  how  I  was  born. In  late  2003, I  was  born to  an  African  American  mother,  and I  came  out  as  an African  American  baby. My  name  Takeo and it is  a  Japanese  name, and  I  was  named  after  a  former  NFL  player  named Takeo  Spikes. The  pictures  that  I  put  in  the  shadow  box represents  how  I  went  to  different  schools, and  the graduation  card  that  I  put  in  my  box  represents  how  I  got  a  certificate  on  June 6, 2017. The dominant narrative is that African American men do not do well in school, but I do. This represents my counter narrative. So there you have it. This is Takeo, and that’s the end of my story.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Takeo’s Shadow Box by Takeo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nefertiti 5 months ago

Hello Takeo,
    I am very inspired by your pictures and cars. I think it is very wise to show how you graduated from Middle School. I would like to know how you feel about the United States? What do you think about Oakland?

2. Jayda 8 months ago

Hello Takeo,
    I would like to know how the cars represent and have meaning to you.
    Are you happy to be living in the United States?
    Have you been back to visit where you were born?
    Do you still participate in your cultures beliefs or the United States?
    Do you still eat your cultures food or fast foods?

3. Walter 9 months ago

Hi, Takeo
    Nice picture and all those symbols that you choose that represents you.
    I would try to add more about your culture, even though you came here in the United States as a baby but what about your people where you was born, their traditions and the place where your parents where born.
    would you like to go to see the country where you was born?
    Tells us more about your gender, are you happy in being a man?
    How do you feel after you graduate from a school?
    How do you take care of that stereotype that African American people don’t do well in school?.