Artist Statement     

Lizbet Gabriel

Many people assume Mexican people are criminals and rapist, my counter narrative is that not all Mexican people are criminals. I grew up with a sweet loving Mexican mom who is the opposite of all the stereotypes people think. I see myself as a young beautiful woman that’s why I used Kendall Jenner’s pictures, she reminds me of natural beauty. I chose to include my highlight box, my tweezers and some brushes because I love to do makeup, but it also reminds me that no one needs makeup to be beautiful because what counts is the beauty inside. All the objects placed in my box show my assigned identities because they show my ethnicity, race and nationality and I am proud. The dominant narratives people write about Mexican people are wrong they don’t know us the way we know ourselves. My box has flowers because the house we have in Mexico has a purple flower tree and I look forward to one day visiting it. The little Mexican decorations are in my box because they represent my ethnicity of what we use drink from when we are in Mexico. The beads hanging represents one of my assigned identities because I didn’t choose to be bisexual but I do choose to embrace it because I am proud to be bisexual and no one should be scared to be themselves.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadow Box Narrative by Liz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mario 2 months ago

Dear Liz,
    I found your box to be very interesting. I thought your creation of all the flowers made your box more colorful and it made it stand out more. It was very creative. Overall, I thought your box is very creative and well done.
    Mario