The objects in my shadow box represent my counter narrative because I express my point of view. When people look at me they think I am White, because of my skin color. But they are wrong, I am not White, I am Hispanic (Salvadoran). My shadow box represents my races because I chose to put in the bracelet I have that says “El Salvador” which represents that I am Latina/Hispanic.I choose to add pictures of my friends because they are a very important part of my life. That is why I also chose to place a heart in the middle of the pictures. I also have a picture of me when I was little because it shows my assigned identity which is female and it reminds me of how much I’ve grown as a person. The swan represents how I am a liberal person even if there is a lot of oppression going on, I stay strong.Overall I choose to place all of these objects in my shadow box because I want people to understand what is important to me and how it represents me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadow Box Counter Narrative by Grady is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tania 1 week ago

Dear Grady,
    I am loving your shadow box because of the things you use inside of your box. Like for example the swan, you say that it represents you because there are people who oppress you but you still stay strong. That’s a really great way to show your strength. Another thing I really like about your shadow box is that you show your friends. I also agree with you that friends are really important because they are the ones that stick with you through life, and don’t judge you for who you are. Thanks for sharing your shadow box.

2. Jocelyn 1 week ago

Dear Grady,

I would like to say that your shadow box is amazing, because you put in a lot of detail.Another reason I really liked your shadow box is the fact that you put your friends and you said that they mean a lot to you and they make a big impact in your life.

3. Aaron 10 months ago

Dear Grady,
    Your shadow box impressed me because you added pictures of people you love. It was also cool that you painted your box white and added the most important objects you have because it’s a better way of understanding who you are and what you think it’s important In your life.
    Sincerely, Aaron

4. Mauro 11 months ago

Dear Grady,

My name is Mauro Delpino. I am a senior at Fremont High School in Oakland, California. My teacher gave us a list of students who had to do a Shadow Box project and she also gave us links so as a class we can appreciate them. I chose to comment on your post because I appreciated the variety of pictures and the thoughtful writing that came with it. I also respect the addition of an El Salvador key chain and also the gratitude that you have for your friends. By the way, most people also think I’m white because of my skin color but are very surprised to find out I am Latino (Argentino). However, I have a few questions for you:

Why did you decide to include a clapperboard in your box?
    Was the selection process for pictures difficult?
    Why did you choose an all-white box?

Lastly, I admire and respect your shadow box in general and I am excited to view your next projects.

Mauro