My shadow box shows a Mexican flag which represents that I am Mexican American. My Dominant Narrative about my Mexican flag is that Mexicans arrived into the US illegally and that we are criminals. My counter narrative to this is that, us Mexicans are hard working honest people, and we aren’t criminals. My next object is a car because this shows that me and my older brother would drive around Oakland and just have fun driving around town enjoying ourselves. This dominant narrative shows that no one sees me for who I am and only sees me as my older brothers little brother. People used to ask me if I really was his little brother. The counter narrative towards this is that my older brother sees me not as his little brother but his friend. This next object is a Oakland post card. This dominant narrative shows that I come from Oakland which automatically makes me a criminal because of where I come from. My counter narrative against this is that people from Oakland work hard to improve the way they live, and the city they live in.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Nevin’s Shadow Box. by Nevin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Aaron 1 week ago

Dear Nevin,
    This post about your about your shadow box was cool because you explained the different stereotypes you as a Mexican and from Oakland have to experience and it’s important because everyone who was born and raised in Oakland are considered dangerous like you explained in your statement. I really like your post, I look forward to your next post
    Sincerely, Aaron

2. Ingri 2 weeks ago

Hi, my name is Ingri and I am a 9th grader at Fremont High School. My grade did the same project as you. I really like how you explained that your brother is like a friend too you. I like the picture that says Oakland because that represents you and where you live.

3. Kevin 1 month ago

Dear Nevin,
    This post of your shadow box intrigued me, how you talked about other peoples perspectives on mexicans, why do you believe that other people say that Mexicans are criminals? Next you said that your older brother likes to drive you around town, what do you enjoy when you guys driver together? Lastly, you spoke upon coming from Oakland, and how society and other places see use as criminals, how can we prevent people from labeling us as these “criminals”? I really like your post, I hope you keep it up and I’m looking forward to your next post, brother from another letter.
    Sincerely, Kevin.

4. Johan 1 month ago

Good Job on your shadow box Nevin. I like how you incorporated your family’s history and your counter narratives about who your people are.