Shadow Box Statement

By Nakiah Landerth

The objects in my box represent my counter narrative. When people see me, they think of me as a tiny, young, and weak female. Some stereotypes that I hear a lot are that I’m a little girl, I’m in 6th grade, I’m weak, and etc. They are all wrong, there are some objects inside of my Shadow Box which represents that I am not weak. I have a plethora amount of photos of my family because they help me overcome the obstacles that I face which makes me feel like I am worthless but I’m not. My dominant narrative is that I am weak. My counter narrative in that I am not. In my shadow box their is a bear with a baseball bat and the bear is made of clay which represent that I am strong and I can overcome anything. My race is Black. Black people are known too mostlikley  too not graduate and their is an turtle inside of my box and it represent that you can drop all kinds of challenges  one me but I am still going to have a hard shell and stand tall continuously.                                                                                                                 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Nakiah’s Shadow Box by Nakiah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jose 10 months ago

You put a lot of detail and Its cool that you have a lot of photos of family members that means that you care.

2. Khalid 10 months ago

you did a good dacration and how you let it stick out