My identities

Maria Barboza

This shadow box should show my identities, how I see the world, and how I feel about everything in my life. The reason why I put a magazine picture of girls with fist because it shows that girls are brave, powerful. I want people to think of females as brave, strong ,and smart females. I also put a Mexican flag and an American flag. They show who I am, what my culture is. If I were to still work on my shadow box I would put a picture of the ocean, because we are along the bay. A dominant narrative is that since I´m Mexican I have to speak Spanish and not English and that I am a criminal or a rapist.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadow Box by Maria is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Walter 3 months ago

Hi Maria,
    I really like the picture, it has something that is unique.
    I like the line that says “Females are strong, brave, and smart”, because we all know that that is true but there are some people who think the opposite. For example if you ask a man he would say the opposite but I think you did a good job.
    I have a question
    Does being a Mexican have affected you? for example have you faced discrimination or racism?
    How do you feel being in the United states?
    Probably next time show some of the traditions of mexico?
    How old are You when You came to the U.S?