Artistic Statement

Paola Hernandez

Hey my name is Paola and thank you for thanking your time to read over this statement.Im from Life Academy high school i’m A freshman. This shadow box represents my objects which are my identity, culture,family. When people see me they think I’m an immigrant but it’s not true I’m Mexican and American.I was born here and my parents were born In Mexico. In my shadow box, my race is important because I’m representing my culture by adding  flags of Mexico and America. And that shows how much I’m proud to be who I am. I am Latina too when people look at me is based on my skin color and think Latinas are not going to be succeed in life .But actually I’m different from what people assume of me I do want to go to college and have a good job. I include my assigned identity which is female because I really love who I am and because I feel like im so unique. The reason why I put the popsicle sticks is because my objects represent the goals i have or what i’ve experienced.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My message behind my shadow box by Paola is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ingri 8 months ago

Dear Paola ,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Ingri Mendozanand I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was when you mentioned that when people look at you they think your immigrant. That happens to me as well and then I have to say that no I am not an immigrant. Something I have a question about is what are your goals and how are going to achieve them? Anyways feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is http://ingrimfhs2021.edublogs.org/ .
    Thank you!

2. Joana 10 months ago

Paola,
    Your shadow box is very unique and interesting. I really like how you added the fence and the light to your box because they really stand out. I also appreciate you for sharing personal stuff about you and your family. I liked when u said that you don’t believe what other people say about you and you know that those statements aren’t true. Thank you for sharing your shadow box with us.
    Joana

3. Katerine 11 months ago

Paola,
    Your Shadow box looks so cool and very creative. I like the way that you involved your culture and what the signicafint.

4. Andrea 11 months ago

Paola,
    Your post is really inspiring, especially when you said, “that shows how much I’m proud to be who I am” because you are not afraid to be yourself and often times people are scared to be unique. Also, I think it’s important that you’re not letting stereotypes dictate who you are. I can relate to you in that I want to be successful and I want to prove everyone wrong by doing so. How are you going to become successful? How are you going to measure your success? I think it’s difficult to answer these questions but may be critical part in achieving what you want and knowing that they are right. I look forward to hearing back from you and continue on doing you. Wishing you the best, Andrea.