My shadow box represents some of my identities and fights some dominant narratives with my counter narratives. In my shadow box I have two ballet slippers. I used to do ballet. A visual stereotype/dominant narrative for ballet is a white, tall, and lean girl. I am only one of those words mentioned, which is my sex as a female. I don’t fit the stereotype but I do ballet anyway because it’s what I like, this is a counter narrative. Another object in my box is my second favorite book, A Dog’s Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. The writings in this book has nothing to do with my identity but I’m using it to show my love for books. My three flags shows my mixed races. I am African American, Latino, and some Native American but as far as I know, I’m Cherokee. I have my beads to represent my three flags. The American and Cuban flag is red, white and blue, and the Cherokee flag is green, yellow, and orange. I have my White Diamonds lotion to show my perseverance for objects. I’ve kept my container of lotion for 3 years and counting. My grandma gave it to me and I want to keep it for as long as I can, to show my perseverance and my accomplishment for not losing it. People may think kids are irresponsible and can lose objects easily as a dominant narrative, but look at my three year old lotion. It’s my counter narrative and I’m very proud of my perseverance. I also have a shell from Mexico to show my traveling experience. My family travels a lot but Mexico was the first place that we went out of country. I have a flower here to show my love for flowers and to show some African colors because that’s what I mainly am. I have a necklace to show that there is a stereotype that girls must have jewelry. Even though I have it as jewelry, in my eyes it shows another way of my responsibility with objects. My bracelet of #FeedtheHood is showing my kindness to love my community and breaking the stereotype/dominant narrative that kids can’t help with grown up problems, like our homeless streets. Yet, I helped and it shows my counter narrative again. Finally all of my pictures show my memories, my knowing of people, my love for my brother/family, my love for sports, and my favorite dog. This box represent me and some of my identities.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Identities in my Shadow Box! by Kamyiah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tevita 9 months ago

Hi my name is Tevita and i’m writing Fremont High.
    I see there a bear in your box. I like that because bears are my favorite animal. Do you even like bears? Or is it just there for decorations?

2. Violet 9 months ago

Hi,
    I’m Violet from Okemos High School. I enjoyed learning a little bit more about yourself through objects. Even though we are strangers I fell like I’ve learned about you. I hope to read more form you in the near future.

3. alexa 9 months ago

hi my name is alexa im from fremont high school. i heard u went to mexico i like your project. is it nice in mexico? thank u for reading my comment

4. Lanavia 9 months ago

Hi I’m Lanavia from Fremont High School i like the way you made the little colorful chan hang from the top part. I also like that how in your shadowbox you did a good job by making it creative. That’s really good that you was feeling good with putting your little shoes in the box and all the other stuff. I feel like you really did a good job

5. Lanavia 9 months ago

Hey there, I’m Lanavia, and I’m from fremont. I like the way you used your culture in your shadow box. I also heard that you visit mexico often! I’ve never been there, but id like to visit. Why did you use jewlery in your shadowbox?

6. Una 9 months ago

Hey, Im una from Fremont High School. I like how colorful your shadowbox is. I heard that you´ve been to mexico! Do you like it in Mexico? I heard that it´s really nice out there. Do the beads mean a lot to you?

7. Jason 10 months ago

Hi! My name is Jason and I am writing from Fremont High School.
    I was impressed that you were into ballet! I never knew anyone from Oakland had that interest. Why do you think that is a counter narrative for you to be into ballet?

8. Ying 10 months ago

Dear Kami,
    I am very proud of the work you did and it I really liked how your shadow box represent both counter and dominant narrative. It represents the counter narrative of who you really are and how society thinks of you that’s very strong of you to talk about that. One sentence that you wrote that stood out to me was when you wrote “A visual stereotype/dominant narrative for ballet is a white, tall, and lean girl. I am only one of those words mentioned, which is my sex as a female. I don’t fit the stereotype but I do ballet anyway because it’s what I like, this is a counter narrative.” That stood out to me because that’s how society thinks but be you girl don’t let anyone stop you from doing what you want to do. I agree with that because many people in society thinks that being Ballet that you have to be white and lean. But you don’t have to be thoughs things to be a ballet because if you really love what you want to do you should do it and go for it no matter what. Thanks for writing, I look forward to seeing you write next time because your writing is very powerful and important. It can help someone see the world differently.

Your friend, Ying 🙂