Artist Statement

Guadalupe Quintero Pena

This is my Shadow Box. This represents who I truly am. I believe that I am a strong person that does not give up really easily.The objects in my Shadow Box represent my counter narrative. When people look at me they assume that I am white. When men see me, they see me as small, weak, and scared because I am a woman. The dominant narratives about women is that they are emotional, their hair is always done, they wear fake nail, short clothes, pretty face, and nice body. But I don’t fit here. I am not emotional, I don’t do my hair a lot, I have never put on fake nails, I wear long clothes, I don’t take care of my face or my body. When I see myself, I see myself as strong, fearless, and ready to be someone in this life. This is my counter narrative. This is what I have chosen to be. My chosen identity. The objects that mostly represent me are La Virgen de Guadalupe, the Life Academy sign, and the Mexican flag. La Virgen de Guadalupe represents me because she is a really strong woman and I feel like I am very strong like her. The Life Academy sign represents me because it represents where I go to school. The Mexican flag represents me because it represents that I am a proud Mexican. This is my race and my ethnicity. The birds represent how I like to feel free and to fly by myself.  This Shadow Box truly represents who I am and how proud I am being Mexican, going to Life Academy, and being a female just like La Virgen de Guadalupe.

#Lifeacademy, #shadowboxes, #EthnicStudies, #counternarratives, #againsthate

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Counter Narrative by Guadalupe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ingrid 6 days ago

Dear Guadalupe,

My name is Ingrid, i really like your shadow box and your shadow box gave me ideas of what to do in my shadow box. I really like the bird you put on there and i relate so much to you because i also like to be free and do my own things. I know your a very strong woman because you have been thru many things and your still here doing your best. I like the colors you added and La Virgen de Guadalupe. I also have so much faith on her. I have so many connections with you. I really like your shadow box. A question i have is, What does the roses represent? And, the little balls?. 

Ingrid

2. Oscar 6 days ago

Dear Guadalupe,

I am very interested in your shadow box because it is very colorful and I can learn a lot of things about yourself. I can notice that you put a lot of time into your shadow box in order to make it shine and be good. I can notice that you love life academy and its community and I do too. One part of your shadow box that stands out is the life academy logo, I can see that life academy gives you a lot of knowledge and makes you feel like it is a big part of your life. Another part that I viewed on your shadow box is the rocks that are very shiny. This stood out to me because these rocks are apart of your life just like everyone’s. Your shadow box is really amazing and you did a great shadow box. Thanks for sharing your shadow box to the world.

3. Daniela 7 months ago

Dear Guadalupe
    Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Daniela Alvarado and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was the you expressed your love for La Virgen De Guadalupe , she is so beautiful . Something I have a question about is , do you you have more beliefs ? Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is http://danielaafhs2021.edublogs.org/
    Thank You!

4. Author
    Guadalupe 10 months ago

Dear Mauro,
    Thanks for your comment. My shadow box is really special for me. It took me and my mom 2 days to complete it. Almost all of the objects in my shadow box are from my house. The rock-shaped objects represent how I am hard to change who I am. I like who I am and I don’t want to change that. I chose to include roses because they go with La Virgen de Guadalupe. I have a question for you. What objects would you include if you were to make a shadow box. Thanks for reading my post.
    Guadalupe

5. Mauro 11 months ago

Dear Guadalupe,

My name is Mauro Delpino. I am a senior at Fremont High School in Oakland, California. My teacher gave us a list of students who had to do a Shadow Box project and she also gave us links so as a class we can appreciate them. I chose to comment on your post because I liked your inclusion of religion, culture and a clear counter narrative. Your shadow box is well-decorated and the box in general is colorful. I appreciate the amount of effort put into this project.

Nonetheless, I have a few questions for you:

How long did it take you to construct your project?
    What do the rock-shaped objects represent?
    What did you chose to include roses?

Ultimately, I admire and respect your shadow box and I can’t wait to see your future projects.

Mauro