my name is Melody and this shadow box represents who I am and who I choose to be. It represents how much love that I have for my family and how much respect that I have for them. When people look at me,  they see someone who is not capable of making the right decisions all the time, someone who is not going to keep getting educated, and someone that is not capable of understanding what hard work is. Those are dominant narratives. When I look at myself, I know how far I’ve grown as a student and a family member even though sometimes I still make mistakes that aren’t the best and impact me in a negative way. I’ve learned that there are more valuable things than being someone that people want you to be instead of being who you are. That’s where my chosen identity comes in because I’ve chosen to be a good daughter and sister also a student. I’ve chosen to be proud of my heritage, Mexican, because I love being all of that, that makes me who I am. On the other hand, my assigned identities I can’t choose. This is a counter narrative of my story of being a young Latina who grew up in a big family without her father. All of this impacted me in a good and bad way because as you all know a girl needs her father and growing up in a big family everyone needs attention but not everyone gets it all the time which can be very heartbreaking I should know i’ve been in that position. Growing up as a young Latina I grew up hearing and seeing people being deported and being stabbed in the back or being afraid to live their life because they would be sent back. Even though I was born in the United States I have family who weren’t and had to suffer through  a lot of pain to come here  so that they could have a better life for themselves and their children  that was heartbreaking and sadly it still is. I have chosen to share those topics of myself because I just want people to know that I’m not the only one with a story of being a Latina whose nationality is from U.S.A but my ethnicity is Mexican.  My family is all I have and I go to school to better myself and make them proud to show them that fear isn’t a person it’s a feeling and feelings go away and that they were brave once and I know that they can be brave again.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Me, Myself and I by Melody is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Javier 9 months ago

Dear Melody,
    Here are three questions to further your thinking. How do the images in your box show your struggles and inspirations? Have you ever traveleed to Mexico? Can living under a certain environment change a person?.

2. Javier 9 months ago

Dear Melody,

Your article “Me, myself, and I ” is outstanding, and the sensory deatils used in your post really helps the reader and enabled me to imagine your story in my mind. I also enjoyed the fact that I can connect to your article because being a Mexican American is not easy and stereotypes affect the way we are viewed but I admire your endurance to not give up and keep on being yourself despite many people trying to affect the way you are. I am loooking forward to seeing what you post next.

Melody 5 months ago

Thank you Javier for you comment I really appreciate the feedback and the support im glad that you could connect to my article. I hope you follow up on my feature art work.

3. Grady 9 months ago

Dear Melody,
    I am moved by your post “Me,myself and I” because it was very detailed and you really explained parts of your identity. One part of your statement that stands out to me is when you placed pictures of people you love because it just means you really care about them. Another part that liked was when you described your ethnicity you said you are proud of being Mexican. Thanks for your shadow box and shadow box statement. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because you did a good job on describing everything you are proud of and it just made everything more interesting.

Melody 5 months ago

Thank you for your comment grady what do you think i should do to make my readers more interested in what i’m saying? I would really appreciate the feedback 🙂