This Shadow Box represents me because I put my chosen identity and my assigned identities that are being Latino and living in Oakland and  being an older brother. I put things that represent me being all those identities. When people look at me they think that I’m shy and that I don’t want to talk but that’s not true I decide just not to talk. They might also think that I only speak Spanish. I live in Oakland and people think it is bad and when they look at me and I say I’m from Oakland and they think I’m up to no good just because I’m from Oakland. These are all dominant narratives. Some things I put in the box are a Mexican flag and a American flag. My nationality is American but my ethnicity is Mexican and I lived in Mexico in Tijuana for a little bit.        

CC BY-SA 4.0 Leonardo Romero ShadowBox by Leo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Adham 2 months ago

Hi my name is Adham Aldahmi and the school I go to is Fremont High school and we are doing the same project as you. One question I have about your work is why is there a dog statue in the box? One question I have about your writing is is that what is the counter narrative you say about the dominant narratives people say to you? The thing I love about your Shadowbox is that you put a small hat representing you.