I have chosen to include the picture of the USA and Mexico because it represents that I was born in the USA, my nationality, but have a family that was born in Mexico. I am a very proud of being a Latina, my race, because I have learned a lot from my family that was born in Mexico because it’s really hard for them to come to the US and really dangerous for them. And I decided to put them in my Shadow Box because they are some really strong people that have faced a lot of difficult things. This is a counter narrative to what people believe about immigrants and Latinos. Many people assume that women aren’t as strong as men because “women cry for men.” Also, because men get paid more than women and men have more privileges than women. But this is just a dominant narrative and not true. I have decided to put pictures of my friends and me and a necklace that says friends because it represents my friendship with my friends. My friendship is really important to me because my friends have been there for me and I don’t know what I would do with them if I never got to meet them. They are really special to me because I consider them as my sisters because they have always been there for me we all have went thru hell but we are still together. We have been together since 6th grade and I just like to spend time with them because we literally laugh at everything which makes it fun. Another object that I have included is the Virgen because mostly all Mexicans believe in the Virgen because the Virgen is the mother of Jesus and is recognized as the queen in Mexico. I chose to put that because it is part of my religion because I am Mexican and I believe in the Virgin and in Jesus.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Kimberly’s Shadow Box by Kimberly is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Linda 1 week ago

Hi Kimberly,
    I am happy about your work because you talked a lot about your nationality. Also because you talked woman stereotypes and that men have more privilege. One sentence you wrote that stand out tome me is “Many people assume that women aren’t as strong as men because “women cry for men.” Also, because men get paid more than women and men have more privileges than women”. I think this is true because men do have more advantage than us woman since years ago and its still happening now. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I wanna hear more woman stereotypes since you mentioned only few and I think there is more. Also because I liked how you expressed your identity and your nationality.

2. kavon 2 weeks ago

hi kimberly! This is kavon from fremont highschool. We just finished our shadowbox and i notice that your shadowbox is very creative and you put lot great effort into it. I also love it and keep up the great work.

3. Bryan 2 weeks ago

Hello Kimberly, my name is Bryan and I go Fremont HIgh School where I did the same project. A question I have is are you religious or do you have any beliefs?I really loved how you have the Mexican and the American flags as your identities

4. Jane 2 weeks ago

Haii Kimberly my name is jane im a Fremont High School freshman I really like how your box was made i connect to it and the change.

5. Jerry 2 weeks ago

Hello im Jerry from Fremont high school. I didn’t get the chance to finish my shadowbox but yours looks great. It looks like you put a lot of effort and time into it, I love it.

6. Jorge 2 weeks ago

Hi this is Jorge from Fremont High School. We are currently finishing our shadow boxes at the moment. I noticed that your shadow box is well crafted and looks like you spent a lot of time creating. I also did the same for my shadow box too. Keep up the good work.

7. Jessica Oulona 1 month ago

Dear Kimberly! I loved reading your post,in some ways i can relate to it, booth my parent are born in Africa but i was born in France and having to deal with my own identity sometimes it becomes harder. You also included friendship which is one of the main and important aspect of human kind. I came to an understanding that no matter where you were born or what nationality your parent are, we are all from the same race, which is the human race. The representation of friendship through the necklace is also an example of how things can play a man role to represent something more then the value it originally possess.

8. Alzahra 1 month ago

Dear Kimberly, I really enjoyed reading your post and knowing things about you . I have latino freinds that I love and I totally understand the fact that their families had to go through hard things to get here in the United States . I can also see how important your friends are to you , but I wanted to know more about them , maybe an experience that you had to go through and they helped you get over it? One of the lines that stood out to me is “Many people assume that women aren’t as strong as men because “women cry for men.” Also, because men get paid more than women and men have more privileges than women.” I focused on this line specifically because I have a lot to say about it . First of all is not true like how you said is not and secondly from my perspective I think that both women and men have the same power to do anything it just that sometimes unfortunately some people think that men are better than women and it happens in a lot of cultures when people have the idea of discrimination. I want to know why did you bring this line to your post ? Does it have to do with your family and you ? I’m also concerned about your religion. I want to know more about this ?
    Overall it was perfect ! I really felt what you said and liked it . I know it’s your first time writing and I think that you will be a great writer . Good luck on your other writings and I’m excited to read more from your writings in the future .

9. Christopher 1 month ago

Hello Kimberly, I found your comment to be interesting. I can somewhat relate to this, being an immigrant in the United States and learning to adapt to a new culture. I like how you stated the importance of friendship, “my friendship is really important to me because my friends have been there for me and I don’t know what I would do with[out] them.” Friends are important and everyone needs friends to live a happy life. I recommend if you find good friends to stick with them for the rest of your life. The last point you make is about your religion, which is important and should be kept, coming from a catholic faith I also believe in the Virgin Mary and Jesus. Anyways, thank you for your writing, I’m excited to see what you write next and good luck on any future project.

10. Mia 1 month ago

Hi Kimberly! I can relate to your life a little bit because I was also born here, but my parents are both from Poland. It is interesting growing up in a family that has to live through hardships of being non-native. I also love how you included a necklace to represent your friendships. Friendships are so important in life, they carry you through difficult times, and they embrace you in the best of times. I would think it would be interesting if you went more into detail about your friendships because it seems like they are such an important part of your life. If you added more personal stories, your piece would be much more interesting. Tell me about the hell you went through? Tell me about your best friends? What have they taught you? The last thing I would like to say is that I think it would be really beautiful if you went more in depth on the influence the Virgin Mary has on you, and how she has shaped who you are today. It sounds like you have had a good life, and I hope it just keeps improving. Sending luck towards your final project!