I am Karyme the author of my Shadow Box. I am Mexican, I am a female girl, and I am a 14 year old girl. My shadow box represents my counter narrative and dominant narrative.A counter narrative means who you truly believe you are. A dominant narrative means how the community see you as for example stereotypes about yourself.People see me as a weak immigrant girl who’s in charge of the house cleaning but I am not. My shadow box shows, objects that are locked inside myself for a reason that’s why I decided to put a gate because no one can change my chosen and assigned identities. The American flag represents where I was born from and where I live. The Mexico flag and the little doll represents my chosen identity that shows that I am proud to be Mexican and I enjoy going to Mexico a lot. I also included la Virgen de Guadalupe because she is someone strong who inspires me and who wants to be strong as her. The little garden with the flowers represent that I love flowers and I enjoy being outside. The logos of UCLA and MILLS represents the colleges that I’m planning to go to after I graduate from high school.The pictures that are in my shadow box are the people who I found in my life, who I love a lot, and the people who have made my life full of happiness and enjoyment.The little objects to the right that has words shows who I really want to be ¨never never never give up¨ this quote represents that I want to be someone who will take a lot of risks and who will challenge herself a lot in life. The other phrase that is important to me is the one that says ¨she believed she could so she did it¨ this shows that I really want to make it to college and succeed in life but it also shows that I want to graduate from college with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. This is who I am and this is who I want to be in life a strong women that will challenge herself a lot and not give up. I AM KARYME AND I PROUD TO BE KARYME.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Karyme’s Shadow Box by Karyme is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Luis 4 months ago

Dear Karyme, I like how you set up your shadow box and it says everything about you in pictures. Good job! Keep chasing your dreams and remember, If you’re not first, you’re last.

2. Luis 4 months ago

I like how you set up your shadow box and how it says everything about you in pictures. Good job! Keep chasing your dreams.