Shadow Box

Jildardo Mendoza

When people see me, they see something they haven’t seen before, my other side. In reality, I see myself as a someone good like in my shadow box. I put some pictures up that represent me. One of them is the Seattle Seahawks. I’m not from there, but I love how they play football and football is one of my favorite sports I play. A dominant narrative is that all Latinos play soccer, but I love to play football too. I also enjoy my family culture. My mother comes from a beautiful town in Guatemala and my father is from Mexico. Our culture is really religious and I love learning about religion. How my family really cares for me and they want me to be better and not be a kid who is out in the street not respecting. After high school I want to go to college and after college I want to be in the NFL.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Jildardo’s True Identity by Jil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chanburak 3 months ago

Hey there I’m Jordan, a senior from Fremont High School and I really enjoyed your shadow box project because I also like football myself,(even though I can’t stand the Seahawks.) I just have a couple of questions about your shadow box
    1.How did it feel to put what you like into a shadow box and share it with the entire world?
    2.When and why do you like the Seattle Seahawks?
    3.Was there something you wanted to put into the shadow box that you couldn’t find the room for?

Jordan.

Jil 3 months ago

Hey there Jordan nice that you replied back. Well, to answer your question. It felt good to do my shadow box because I never expressed myself to people I have not seen and I have ADHD and it´s hard for me because it makes me space out on what I´m saying when I´m nervous. When I shared at the Peralta House I was able to stay focused and do a good job. I started liking the Seahawks when I saw the beastmode in action and how Wilson threw the ball and Baldwin when he took off. I also like them because they play good games they got Richard and he makes good plays and they´re not cocky. In addition, I wanted to put my dreams of owning a Rolls Royce and a Maserati and a big house and about music too. But I ran out of room. Music is another thing I like. Thanks for commenting and if you got dreams you can achieve them too.

I have some questions for you:
      If you did a Shadow Box what would you put in it?
      Do you have a favorite sports team?

Thank you,
      Jil