I have chosen to include an El Salvador flag because I’m proud of being Salvadoran as my Ethnicity even though my Nationality is American. I decided to put both flags on the bottom because they have both affected me because my race is Hispanic and there are a lot of stereotypes for us. Also, the American flag has affected me because I am a person of color and people may think that I wasn’t born here. I’m still proud of being both. The Oakland museum ticket represents a counter narrative that Latinos work extremely hard for example my sister works at the Oakland museum and she works hard so she can support herself and me. The baby pictures that on the bottom are pictures of the past. The past have really affected me in the inside and the outside by the actions I would make. I would get in trouble, get sent to the office on a daily basis, and just have a really negative mindset. I put a collage of all of my friends and I. They were the people who helped me from making those mistakes. The two people who helped me the most were Grady and Melody, my two best friends. Also, my sister, Hilda, because she knows what I’ve gone through and she felt the same way so she has helped me a lot. I put in fairy lights to show that even if things may be dark there’s always a light. The polaroids that are hanging from the string are memorable events that I will always remember and will be a part of me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Jennifer’s shadow box by Jennifer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Daniel 2 months ago

hi my name is daniel i like how you put both flags on your shadow box in how you go to the musem

2. Author
    Jennifer 3 months ago

Thank you Reyna I really appreciate the comment you left. I don’t think you are extra for not calling herself hispanic or latinx like you suppose to. You get to decided on how you want to identify yourself. I don’t be nosy but I wonder why you don’t call yourself hispanic? If you are comfortable sharing why I would really appreciate. Also I really appreciate you saying that I know the difference between ethnicity and nationality because there are so many people who don’t. Thank you Reyna.

3. Elizabeth 3 months ago

Dear Jennifer,
    I am amazed with your shadow box because it is very creative and has a lot of objects that catch my attention. Some objects that stood out to me from your shadow box are your houses. They catch my attention because well it was very creative to make little houses and add them to your shadow box but also their seems to be a big story behind each house which I think was a cool way to represent those stories with each little house. Those little houses aren’t just any other houses and I can connect with you because I understand how those houses really have a story to tell. My family and I have had to move houses several times and in each house that we move to it does not really stay behind because there is also those memories that stay with us, whether memories may be positive or negative they always stay with us. Thank you for sharing your shadow box with us. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because you seem to have a lot of creativity and you have a lot of cool ideas to share your story with us. -Elizabeth

4. Melody 3 months ago

Dear jenny
    my name is melody, I am a freshman and currently attend life academy. I really enjoyed reading your shadow box statement. there were lines in your article that I felt I could connect to. when you stated that, The” two people who helped me the most were Grady and Melody, my two best friends. Also, my sister” because the two people that supported me were Jennifer, Grady and my sister. I cant wait to see what you post next.
    best, melody

5. Reyna 3 months ago

I love love love how you know the difference between ethnicity and nationality. It’s something that most people don’t understand and have it very confused which is understandable but it’s amazing that you know.I agree that being a female of color comes with struggles. I agree identity as xicana a term that is growing in population but its still not that liked people or some people just believe i’m being extra for not calling myself hispanic or latinx like i’m “supposed” too. The lights ideology really made me smile. Yes, their is always some light even when you see mostly darkness and i’m glad to hear you have support. Value that because it’s truly important for those dark moments.