This is me

Jared Hernandez

This shadow box represents that I’m from Oakland, Latino, male, and a soccer player. A dominant narrative is that because I’m Latino I have to play soccer and no other sport. When people see me they think that I am a soccer player because of the color of my skin. When people see me they think that I am a gang member or a criminal because I am from Oakland. I put Raider Nation because it represents that I am from Oakland and that I´m proud to represent Oakland. I also put pictures of soccer because I love to play soccer and it´s my favorite sport. A counter narrative is that I don´t have to be Latino in order to play soccer I can be any race. Also that because I am male I have to be strong and not cry but that’s not true I choose to be and act the way I want.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Jared’s shadowbox by Jared is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Evelyn 4 months ago

Dear Jared,

Thank you for sharing your work.My name is Evelyn Diaz and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was that you added different pictures that represented who you are.Something I have a question about is Since when do you play soccer?. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future.The address of my student blog is http://evelyndfhs2021.edublogs.org/2017/11/07/assignment-5/ .
    Thank You!

2. Mauro 8 months ago

Dear Jared,

My name is Mauro Delpino. I am a senior at Fremont High School in Oakland, California. My teacher gave us a list of students who had to do a Shadow Box project and she also gave us links so as a class we can appreciate them. I chose to comment on your post because I appreciated the amount of soccer logos and flags that were included. I also enjoy watching and playing soccer therefore I respect your shadow box. Anyways, I have some questions for you:

Why do you decide to include the pictures on the left?
    Do you play soccer? If so, What position?
    What’s your favorite soccer team?

Finally, I applaud and commend the work put into your shadow box and I am looking forward for your next projects.

Mauro