In America our values, culture, and creeds can all be found in the documents that we have today and live by. We have a lot of documents that describe what our country is made up of, the core values that make us different from every other country in the world. These documents describe what we try to follow in our country. One of these documents is the Preamble. The Preamble is the introduction to the US Constitution, where it states what of our values are. According to Gouverneur Morris, author of the Preamble, these values that we have in our country is equality, domestic tranquility, justice. The next document is the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights  are the first 10 Amendments of the Constitution. According to James Madison, author of the Bill of Rights, these amendments are the rights that we have that the government can not take away from us. Some of these are equality, justice, freedom to do what we want, and tells us that we have privacy from the government. The last idea that I choose is the American Dream. I think that the American Dream is one of the strong values and creeds that we have today. Many people are trying to achieve their American Dream throughout their lifetime. According to Kimberly Amadeo in “What Is The American Dream Today?”, “In other words, if you worked hard and played by the rules, the government should provide financial security, education, health care and a home”(Amadeo para 7). This idea was first introduced by President Truman’s Fair Deal that he had. We will all have different dreams and none of them will probably be the same, we might have similar ideas but they won’t be the same for everyone. I believe that if we work super hard in our life that we can accomplish anything that we want. If we set our mind to it and say that we’re gonna make this happen, it will most likely come true because we’re gonna work super hard to get to that goal. All three of these documents and ideas can help us decide what our American values, beliefs, creeds, and cultures.

Works Cited:

“U.S. Constitution – Preamble – The U.S. Constitution Online.” Preamble – The U.S. Constitution Online – USConstitution.net, www.usconstitution.net/xconst_preamble.html.

“Bill of Rights.” Bill of Rights Institute, www.billofrightsinstitute.org/founding-documents/bill-of-rights/.

Amadeo, Kimberly. “What Is the American Dream Today?” The Balance, 12 Sept. 2017, www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-american-dream-today-3306027.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is America Living Up To The Documents That Made Our Country? by Nolan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. James 3 months ago

Nolan,
    I had the same ideas when we wrote these posts in class. American was founded on certain principles and those principles should still be some of the most importants qualities of not only our country but also the people that live in it. There is one problem that I ran into when thinking about this topic. What do we do if the founding documents aren’t enough? There have been lots of problems in the news, especially recently, that have been related to some of the rights we are guaranteed in the founding documents. Some of these problems include mass shootings and the right to bear arms, or equality for all and racism. These problems are addressed by the documents but aren’t fixing the problem. What can we do?

2. John 3 months ago

Hi Nolan. I think that the laws that we have in place now about equality do what the founding documents say about all men created equally. Even if it is impossible for true equity and for there to be no racism (as long as there are differences between people, I think there will be) I think that the documents we have are good but some of the people aren’t. I think that when you included the quote of how if you work as hard as you could and played by the rules you should be able to have a good life. I think that is very important, the ability to succeed if you work the hardest you could.