Artist Statement

Erika Romero

This shadow box represents the things that I identify myself as and what was my assigned identity when I was born. My biological sex is female. When people look at me, they see a short and weak girl who can’t play sports and can’t do much because she is not strong enough, but this is a dominant narrative. But, I see myself as a strong female who can do things and play sports and do things what other girls do, and that is my counter narrative. Many people assume that my ethnicity is that I’m Mexican and can’t speak English and that I won’t make it through high school because that’s what most Latinos do. But actually I’m different from what people see me as, I’m a Latina who is Salvadoran who can show and be an example for others. I show that most Latinos do make it through high school and become someone in the future. I have chosen to include my quinceanera pictures because that shows my Gender expression as a female.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 Erika’s Identity Shadow Box by Erika is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Keon 7 months ago

Dear Erka,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Keon and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was how you describe how you fought against the dominant narrative.
    Something I have a question about is what is your favorite sport. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is http://keonsfhs2021.edublogs.org.
    Thank You!

2. Cristian 7 months ago

Dear Erika,Thank you for sharing your work.My name is Cristian and I am a student at Fremont High School.Something I liked about your work was how you included things that are important to u and that make up your identity.Something I have a question about is what is your favorite movie that’s connects to you. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is http://cristianfhs2021.edublogs.org/.
    Thank You!

3. Joana 9 months ago

Erika, I really liked your shadows box because you added things that mattered to you like pictures of your family and friends. I also like how you explained your dominant and counter narrative. When you said that people assume that you are weak and can’t play sports, I really liked that because you then explained that’s not true and you don’t believe what society says. Overall I really liked your box and how you organized it and I got to learn new things about you.
    Joana

4. Chanburak 10 months ago

Hey there I’m Jordan, a senior from Fremont High School and I really enjoyed your shadow box project because it had a lot of things that I enjoy myself such as the picture of the Oakland Raiders and the picture of the slate because I’m a big fan of various movies. I just have a couple of questions about your shadow box project
    1.Who or what gave you your love for sports?
    2.Who or what gave you your love for the Oakland Raiders?
    3.Who or what gave you your love for movies?
    Jordan