Artist Statement

Brandom Gamez

My shadow box represents me and what other people view me as. My nationality is American but my ethnicity and race is Latino. People would see me and think that I am a criminal, but in reality I am a human being who doesn’t deserve to be judged by your first impressions. My biological sex and gender are the same, both male. My gender expression is male. I am comfortable in my own skin and don’t believe that the body that I am in is wrong. I am proud of both my assigned and chosen identities because they helped shape and form the person that I am today. I have chosen to include a picture of two football players in a college team because that is where I see myself in the future. Not in the same college, but in a different college with a football team. I chose to put in a pencil because it shows that I am a writer who doesn’t stop writing what he thinks about this cruel world. I also put in 20 pesos, a plain card, and a bracelet. Those items represent my love for Mexico and it also shows that I am willing to carry my culture over to the United States because I don’t want to forget this identity.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Brandom’s Metaphoric Shadow Box by Brandom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Duriel 1 month ago

Dear Brandom

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Duriel and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was that you liked the team Oakland Raiders.
    Something I have a question about is what do the sunglasses represent. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is
    Thank You!