All the objects in my box represent me because they are a part of me. The Beast Oakland sticker is a part of me because my cousin owns the brand and I think that is something that is very breathtaking because not a lot of Mexicans make a brand that goes good, this shows a counter narrative. So to me it is something to be proud of. The jewelry/bracelet represents me because my family can’t afford everything other families can afford and to me everything that my family gets for me I always try to take good care of it and try to make it last. The metal T-bar represents me because I am a cruiser and a cruiser is a person who just rides a skateboard for “heck” of it. The T-bar is a tool to tighten or loosen the wheels on the skateboard or changing the trucks.  Trucks according to the Skateboard Trucks Buying Guide explains that, “Skateboard trucks are the metal T-shaped pieces that mount onto the underside of the skateboard and keep your skateboard wheels and bearings securely attached to the deck. They are a key component when you want to create your own skateboard”(From Skateboard Trucks Buying Guide – Warehouse Skateboards). The Raider keychain represents my love for the team because I am from Oakland and I am a diehard Raider’s fan. The Nike sign represents my love for sports and to me sports is like another form of life. The basketball represents the love I have for it, that sport has helped me throughout my life and to me it is one of the best sports ever created. 2k18 represents how much of a baller I am because I am buying a game that is about basketball and I bought the most expensive one there was. The BART ticket shows that I use public transportation because I am a minority and I do not have much. The Warrior tickets represent the time that I went to my first Warriors game and how much I love the team. The money just represents the hustle I have in order to make it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Beto’s Shadow Box And Identity by Alberto is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Daelen 5 months ago

Dear Alberto

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Dae’Len and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was the 2k18 because i enjoy playing basketball and i enjoy playing 2k18.
    Something I have a question about is what does the bird represents on your box? Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is http://daelengfhs2021.edublogs.org/2018/02/05/assignment-7/ .
    Thank You!

Alberto 4 months ago

Hey Dae’Len thanks for commenting. I love 2k its like the best thing out other than Fortnite. Have you played in a AAU team yet. The bird represents the eagle from the Mexican flag. Respond as fast as possible so we can keep in touch.

2. Carmen 7 months ago

Wsp Alberto, I am Carmen, a fremont high school student . I saw that your are a Raiders fan and I am too. And it’s good that u are representing your roots and that you are proud of them.

Alberto 4 months ago

Hey Carmen what do you mean by representing my roots? Thanks for commenting respond as fast as you can.GOOOO RAIDERS!!!!

3. Adham 8 months ago

Hi my name is Adham Aldahmi and I’m from Fremont High School and we are doing the same project as you. One question I have for your shadowbox is what’s the drawing in the box. One question I have for your writing is what made you love basketball. The thing I love about your shadowbox is the drawing and the game.

Alberto 4 months ago

Hey Adham the drawing in the box is the eagle from the Mexican flag, my uncle drew it for me. What made me love basketball was the energy and adrenaline that the game gave me. Also I was just really good at the game.

4. Javier 8 months ago

Dear Alberto,
    I really like your box and the phrase you use to describe how your cousins brand was successful, “The Beast Oakland sticker is a part of me because my cousin owns the brand and I think that is something that is very breathtaking because not a lot of Mexicans make a brand that goes good, this shows a counter narrative”. This quote is very strong and indicates that you guys were successful although society never believed in you. Here a few questions to pick your brain. How does skateboarding shape your personality? How do you overcome obstacles faced in your way? Will you be willing to create a brand?

Alberto 8 months ago

Dear Javier,
      I am not really a skater, but a cruiser. The difference is that a cruiser rides a skateboard for fun and a skater does tricks and all. Do you skate? To answer your second question I always find a way through the challenge and get over it. In my mind set there is always a way out. For your last question I don’ t think I will be able to make my own brand. I say that because I am actually a good entrepreneur. I can sell just about anything to almost anybody. Later on I will probably join my cousin into the business and help him sale at other places.