My Shadow Box

Aaron Torres

This box represents me because the objects I have in the box have affected me in many different ways. One item that has a big effect on me that I have in this box is the three flags. Those have an effect on me because I am Mexican and people think Mexicans are not good people but I am a good person. That was a dominant narrative that is not true about who I am. I am not what people think I am. I am also an American child who likes to be active and do many things people would think I won’t do. The two flags combined together explain me being a Mexican American kid. That is my counter narrative to the stereotypes put on me. My PS4 control and my headset shows one of my chosen identities and how I can talk to people without having any male siblings who can understand me. I can just have my friends to talk to about whatever we want. The picture of me and my parents shows how I value my parents care for them because they are always going to be there for me when I need them. They have affected my life the most because without them I would be a completely different person and I don’t think that person would be a very good person but since they have always cared for me I think I’ve turned out to be a good kid even when life is hard.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Aaron’s Shadow Box by Aaron is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lupita 5 days ago

Dear Aaron Torres,

I am flabbergasted by your shadow box because by having a black background in your box in made all of your images pop out and my eye was drawn to all of them. Also, I like how you put baby pictures and that truly showed how you were always a great kid. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “. They have affected my life the most because without them I would be a completely different person and I don’t think that person would be a very good person but since they have always cared for me I think I’ve turned out to be a good kid even when life is hard” This stood out to me because it shows the power that a parent can have over a child’s life. It also shows how a parent can completely change them into a different person and empower them throughout their life. Another sentence that stood out to me is “My PS4 control and my headset shows one of my chosen identities and how I can talk to people without having any male siblings who can understand me. I can just have my friends to talk to about whatever we want”. This sentence stood out to me because it shows how having a ps4 is kind of your escape from your world. Also, it shows how your ps4 slightly makes up for you not having any male siblings. Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing truly express your thoughts. Not only that but you bring another perspective to the world.

Lupita M.C.

2. Matthew 7 days ago

sir aaron,

its matthew, what I liked about your box was your baby picture and how you value your parents alot and that without them you wouldent be a good kid. the other things i liked about your box were that you put the flafs and that you explain the dominant naratives

3. Janely 10 months ago

Hi my name is Janely, Something I like about your shadowbox is the pictures about your family, and you when you were younger. How hard have life threatened you? Do you think you did your bets on this project?

4. Ingri 11 months ago

Hi my name is Ingri and my whole grade which is 9th did the same project as you. I am writing this from Fremont High School. One thing I like about you shadow is the pictures of your parents and you when you were younger. I really like that because it shows that you care about you family and you don’t mind people looking at your younger self.

5. Mauro 11 months ago

Dear Aaron,

My name is Mauro Delpino. I am a senior at Fremont High School in Oakland, California. My teacher gave us a list of students who had to do a Shadow Box project and she also gave us links so as a class we can appreciate them. I chose to comment on your post because I appreciated the amount of pictures and the quantity of different flags included in your box. I also enjoyed the placement and positioning of the pictures. However, I have a few questions for you:

Why did you decide to use a black box?
    What made you draw the American flag and not print it out?
    How old are you in these pictures?

Lastly, I admire and respect your shadow box and I can’t wait to see your next projects.

Mauro