Artist Statement

Melany Casillas Barragan

To begin, my shadow box represents who I am as a person and as a women. I have been given stereotypes about being a women. The dominant narrative of being a women is being weak. For me that is the complete opposite, and I have grown up with a strong, confident woman my whole life. One picture that represents that a woman can be strong is my drawing of a woman who has a baby in her stomach. As you can see the woman is crying, and she is an actual human being carrying another human being which is the most inspiring and beautiful thing ever. Woman are considered weak but actually having the capability to carry another human being in your stomach is just something so powerful that woman can do. Another stereotype of being a woman is skateboarding. I’ve been skating since I was a child, people used to tell me that it was un-lady like and improper for a woman to do. Being a skater has made me who I am and made me, me.  It gives me a feeling that I can glide away from my stress and just be able to relax for a little, like the feeling you get when come from a long day and be able to lay in your bed without a single thing in your head to keep you up at night. Also, I love watching superhero movies. I’ve grown up watching all the Marvel movies and being able to name every character in the movies. From watching these I stand out a little because i talk about things most girls don’t understand but it allows me to be myself. Furthermore, to explain about my houses they all share a different story. The house on 35th is the only home that I’ve been with most of my life. Whenever something bad happened we always ending back where we started and it was that house, it bring me love and joy because of the people who have been and left that house but they have never been forgotten. The house on Sycamore represents the first house my mother and my stepfather got when my brother was born. It was house first house to call home. The house gave me 2 brothers and 2 sisters. The house on University Dr. is the house that took everything away. It took my family, my safety, and my love for myself and others, but it was still the house I called home. The picture of the boy and the woman is my brother and mother. This is about to be the second year that my mom and brother have moved away and the second year I have been by myself with not a lot of family. The crossword represents my father not being there most of my life. Even though he hasn’t been there most of my life he is that man who made me. All of these things make me who I am good and bad and I am proud. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Box Of My Life by Melany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Xin 1 week ago

Hello my name is xin and I like your shadow box a lot and I Got to learn from this shadow box I like you art too and I where like to see more think that you make.

2. Janely 2 weeks ago

Have you ever got one of those Dominant Narratives from a friend? So you like action movies?
    Well I like all you wrote because it seems that you put feeling to each word, while reading this all I can say is that you did a great job in this project, I am happy for all the things you did on it, every word you wrote, it seems that you wrote it from the deepest of your heart.

Melany 2 weeks ago

Thank you for commenting. It means a lot that someone took time out of their day to read about my life. Yes I do put depth into my writing, I am a poet and that is one of my many advantages.

3. Julio 2 weeks ago

Hi there my name is Julio from Fremont High School. I see that you make a shadowbox I did the same thing at Fremont High and i like how you put the pictures you did a good job.

4. Joshua 1 month ago

Hi there my name is Joshua and I really like your shadow box. I can connect when you talk about growing up watching Marvel movies. I can connect with how you grew up in the same home for most your life. What color would you say that you life most correlates

5. Young Whan Choi 1 month ago

Your reflections are super deep. I love the metaphor of the “word find” because it is hard to find a true father. Thanks for putting your life on display for all of us to see the real narrative of your life.

Melany 2 weeks ago

Thank you for reading and looking at my shadow box. Yes it is hard to find a true father, I have found that many people can connect to that. Thank you for commenting.