Artist Statement

Shania Brown

Hello my name is Shania Brown, I’m a 14 year old freshman at Life Academy and I’m going to talk about my shadow box. This Shadow Box represents three Chosen Identities of mine. I have chosen to include pictures, beads, origami, popsicle sticks, and pipe cleaners in my shadow box because it represent my three identities which is being Mixed Race, assumptions people make about my Gender Identity, and living in a big household. When people look at me they see all happiness because I don’t show the struggles I go through. I come to school everyday trying to stay happy but inside I’m really heartbroken because of the identities I carry. One of them is that many people assume that I’m full African – American. They say that because my skin is colored, but just because my skin is colored you don’t assume I’m full African American. Another one is me being female, I added this because men always have negative things to say about me and other women Sexuality and I think it’s time that we stand up for ourselves. And the pictures I added of me, my grandfather, my mom, my brother’s, and my sisters also show that we are all confident enough to take pictures and that we don’t care about the negativity people have. The last one is me living in a big household. This affects me because I get in trouble a lot for things my siblings do plus, they get their way and I don’t since I’m older than some of them. I love that I got to do this shadow box because at the time I was making it, I was really expressing my feelings and it made me become more confident. Nine of the pictures that are in my shadow box is my brother(s), sisters, mother, and the centerpiece is my grandfather that passed away christmas morning in 2014. The reason why I used pipe cleaners is so I can show that I like to be creative and try to make different types of flowers. I really appreciate Ms.Portugual for picking this assignment because I feel like I expressed myself and my life they way I wanted to. I say this because when teachers assign assignments we have rules, but this assignment was based off on our lives and it wasn’t any rules to this.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shania Brown: Supreme Shadow Box! by Shania is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Author
    Shania 5 months ago

Thank you Fahar I really appreciate the things you said and Hopefully we can meet again. I remember you from garfield we were bestfriends. Thanks again for the comment.

2. Fahar 5 months ago

dear shania brown i really like your work, my name is fahar muhammad and i am a student at fremont high. something i liked about your work was that it was really creative and different

3. Long 5 months ago

Dear Shania Brown,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Long Nguyen and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was that it was very creative and pretty.
    Something I have a question about is what did the two hands represent in the middle of your shadowbox. Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is https://longnfhs2021.edublogs.org
    Thank You!

Shania 5 months ago

Thank you for giving me feedback and the 2 hands on my shadow box represented half of my ethnicity and that it shouldn´t be judged. And because people assumed that I was only african american so you should judge or assume others people race because of how they look.

4. Luz 9 months ago

Dear Shania,
    One of the things I really liked about your shadowbox was the way you talked about the negative stereotypes people have about you and towards the end of the publication you talked about who you truly are, I think that’s really empowering. To further your thinking I would like to ask some questions, Why do people marginalize others? How do people form stereotypes? Do you think the media perpetuates gender stereotypes?

5. Bella 9 months ago

Hi Shania, I think your Shadow Box is so beautiful and I love the symbolism behind everything you chose. I think it was very clever to use beads, origami, popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners to represent aspects of you and your life. This was a beautiful post and I’m very impressed. 🙂

Shania 5 months ago

Thank you so much and I really appreciate everything you said about my creativity on my shadow box.