American culture was built on freedom and liberty for all. People in modern day American idiots believe that a culture of only white people is true American culture. American culture should be encompassing all people, light or dark.

In InterExchange’s “Cultural Customs in the U.S,” we Americans as a whole has cultural aspects that apply to the country as a whole. We all value being on time and being late can often result in punishment. Americans also value hygiene compare to other countries. We often shower once, maybe even twice a day.

Even though we’ve had several people who protest this idea, racism and discrimination are still prevalent in America. According to “Racism and discrimination in the US,” by InterNations Immigrants are often subjected to racial profiling for simply “looking foreign.” Homophobia is still around, especially in the south and midwest. Blacks, Hispanics and Muslims are often targeted the most. Muslims have been the subject of attack since the 9/11 terrorists attacks. Muslims would have their mosques vandalized and generally made their lives uncomfortable to live.

Even our schools speak to other countries about American culture as a whole. A aspect of our schools, is how bullying is handled, which is rather weak. In Pamela Engel’s “Staggering Facts About Bullying in America,” at least 70% of students think that teachers respond poorly to bullying. 64% percent of bullying goes unreported by students, quite possibly due to how schools handle it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What is American Culture Exactly? by Jackalyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Zoe 8 months ago

Hi Jackalyn!
    I think you have some great points here! I do think this could develop into something very awesome, especially considering how diverse American culture has become.
    Why do think our bullying is so bad here? How can improve our country more?

2. Andrea Paul 9 months ago

Jackalyn,
    America sure does have a lot to work on. We are by no means a perfect country but we have come a long way. I think that inequalities and prejudices are one of America’s biggest struggles along with how we treat the environment. However, we have accomplished many things like our independence and we should be proud of the many Americans that have fought for equality. Hopefully America will continue to work towards the better.

3. Mae 10 months ago

Hi, Jackalyn! I believe American culture cannot be defined as one thing. As a country, we have many beliefs that cross others, but we should be able to overlook our differences and work together as one for a better country. The fight against racism and intolerance has never ended- and probably never will end if we cannot consider what it is like to be in the other person’s shoes. American culture is defined by the journey we have traveled, and the freedom we have to take our own journies. American culture is defined by the social actions exhibited on a day to day basis. American culture is defined by overcoming intolerance, no matter how grand, and acknowledging the struggles others had to make to even be here. Although America is NOT a perfect country, we are farther ahead than lots of other countries when it comes to things like women and minority rights- which also defines our culture- but in no way is the fight over.

4. Christopher 10 months ago

Jackalyn, your comment on American culture is important and is especially important to me because I am not born in America but consider myself as an American. I like how you stated in your first sentence that “America culture was built on freedom and liberty for all,” which I believe is what America is all about. America should not be based on your skin tone but the idea that everyone should have the opportunity to have freedom and liberty. Everyone should feel welcome no matter their race, religion, ethnicity, or any other factors that differ someone from society. Anyways, thanks for your comment and I’m excited to see what you write next because this is a problem that does need to be address especially in America.

5. Sam 10 months ago

America is a country of immigrants, a melting pot of cultures. We should acknowledge and embrace our differences and celebrate our nationality together. Here is a link about American culture that describes our how our history has shaped what we are today: https://www.livescience.com/28945-american-culture.html. America does have a checkered past, and some problems still remain. However, it is important to move forward from these and regain our original emphasis of liberty and equality for all. I agree that our country has some serious issues that need to be addressed…what can be done to solve these? Great post, I’m excited to see what you write next.

6. Treyvon 10 months ago

I love the concept of this post Jackalyn,
    I think the idea of what defines American Culture is often times hard to define because there is so much diversity within the nation which makes it hard to pinpoint what the culture of America truly is. I like how you incorporated a variety of different problems or “cultures” that America has and it truly is different from other nations. One example you gave is how prominent discrimination is in the United States and how people “are often subject to racial profiling for simply ‘looking foreign’ “. This just shows how the nation views others based on stereotyping and physical appearances which often leads to disputes that are hard to handle. Thank you for bringing up this topic, I enjoyed reading about it and hope you continue to post.

7. Mary 10 months ago

Hello Jackalyn. American culture definitely has some values that are desired such as punctuality and hygiene that you mentioned. But, I think the negative aspects of our culture are highlighted and overshadow the positives. For example, mass shootings are becoming prominent in the recent years, but are by no means something that should be considered part of a culture. I would be interested to see your stance on how American culture has changed from 1900- present day. This article, http://nypost.com/2015/06/06/how-a-massive-silent-cultural-revolution-has-changed-america/ could be useful and interesting like it was to me.