Many Americans have their own creeds, for everyone has their own beliefs. American creeds involve ideas of unity, freedom, striving to do your best, opportunities, and loyalty. All of these aspects of creeds come from the following articles, “What Does It Mean To Be American”, “superman and me”, and “Ordinary citizens in Houston step up with dramatic flooding rescues underway.”All Americans strive to do their best no matter what the circumstances are. In the article, “

All Americans strive to do their best no matter what the circumstances are. In the article, “superman and me” the author faces many challenges throughout his childhood, living on the Spokane Indian Reservation. He focused on his schooling, and because of this he knew how to read and write before most of the other children, due to this be was bullied by both Indians and non-Indians. He strived to do his best by continuing to learn more about reading and writing. The author writes, “I refused to fail. I was smart. I was arrogant. I was lucky” (Alexie 2). This quote tells the reader that the author never gave up and kept on moving forward. Americans creeds also involve unity and loyalty. In the article, “Ordinary citizens in Houston step up with dramatic flooding rescues underway”, there

Americans creeds also involve unity and loyalty. In the article, “Ordinary citizens in Houston step up with dramatic flooding rescues underway”, there are attachments to the articles that has a link for donations to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey. This is an example of unity because even though the hurricane affected one state the link offers other states to pitch in to help and many people around the country did so. The article also said, “‘There are a lot of people who just did it on their own’” (Ed Emmett para 4). This quote refers to when Ed Emmett asked for volunteers. This is an example of loyalty, loyalty towards the state and victims because even though they were not asked to do so they did it because they knew that it was the right thing to do.

Opportunity and freedom is the basis for the American center. The article, “What Does It Mean To Be American”, talks about immigration and the freedom of speech. An example of freedom would be when the text said, “‘we’ve grown accustomed to talking about human beings as if ‘we’re talking about scraping gum off our shoes’” (Vargas para 4). This quote is Aaron Sorkin speaking out against those who are against immigration rights on “The Newsroom”. Aaron Sorkin was able to say this on television because he is protected by freedom of speech. In the same article, Vargas says “Irish, Italian, and Eastern Europeans crossed the Atlantic Ocean in search for a better life” (Vargas para 6). This is proof that America provides opportunities. Many people came to America because the country had more jobs and better living standards, providing immigrants a new start as an American.

These articles come together and defend the claim of this argument. For Americans are loyal, have freedom, have unity, strive to do their best, and are given many opportunities. If you are against this opinion please share your own.

Works Cited:
Vargas, Jose Antonio. “What Does It Mean To Be An American?” The Huffington Post, TheHuffingtonPost.com, 4 July 2012, www.huffingtonpost.com/jose-antonio-vargas-meaning-of-american_b_1647894.html.
News, CBS. “Ordinary Citizens in Houston Step up with Dramatic Flooding Rescues Underway.” CBS News, CBS Interactive, 28 Aug. 2017, www.cbsnews.com/news/harvey-tropical-storm-houston-flooding-rescues-ordinary-citizens-step-up/.
Alexie, Sherman superman and me. 1998

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Are Our American Creeds? by EmmaC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.