Our American values is freedom. Freedom of speech and freedom to live a happy life. Our country should not be made up of slavery. Abraham Lincoln’s “Emancipation Proclamation” states that all slaves in the rebellious states “shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free.” Basically stating that there should be no slave labor. Even though the Emancipation Proclamation didn’t free a single slave, it did have a great significance in the civil war.

Another thing to note is that our American cultures are based on the freedoms to follow any religion and choose to speak out your thoughts on the world. It’s a good thing we have the first Amendment, which states “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.” In short, the freedom of religion and free speech.

Our American creed is and will always be the freedom and safety of the American people (that was a claim in case you were wondering). Even though we may have some restrictions on our rights, that still doesn’t mean we are not allowed to speak out. We have the right to a peaceful protest when people feel abandoned, we have the right to our religious view (even if you don’t have one), we have the right of access to education. With all that, it’s all thanks to freedom.

Foner, Eric, and John A. Garraty, editors. Emancipation Proclamation. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company., 1991, www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/emancipation-proclamation. Accessed 3 Oct. 2017.

First Amendment. Legal Information Institute, https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment. Accessed 3 Oct. 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Argument. by Alexander is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.