Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Whitney Langston. I am in my fourth year at Michigan State University studying anthropology. I really didn’t know and understand much about what happened in Charlottesville, VA until I had to complete these playlists for my LGBTQ Studies class. Learning that this whole tragedy was over a statue amazed me. We let something as small as a statue turn two perfectly good days into a bloodbath and war zone. Us as Americans should know better than that.  

Growing up in America was just fine for me, although, I come from a small country town in Michigan. I am biracial and gay so I have two things about me that a percentage of the world hates but it wasn’t an issue for me growing up. I haven’t had people bully me for either but I have had some very racist people in my life. These people think it’s okay to talk about others in my racial area (African American) and it is so disgusting to be around but unfortunately that’s what happens when others are raised in such closed minded communities.

I think our leaders need to prioritize racism. America is suppose to be one of the best countries in the world to live in and to know that some people think they deserve to be here and others don’t because of their skin color is atrocious. At the end of the day, we are all the same color – our blood is all red. No one race is better than another and people need to spread love not hate.

You know I honestly cannot think of something logical that we could do to eradicate racism but I think we need to come together as a country and find some way. The way we are going, a lot of people are going to get hurt and we are too good as a country to keep letting this happen.

I want my kids to grow up in a world where there isn’t racism – where white men, black men, Puerto Rican men can walk side by side, hand in hand and live in harmony. Because I want that for my kids in the future, we need not wait to fix it! We need to act NOW!

Please help me unite the world!!!

Please help me end racism!!!

Signed,

Whitney Leigh Langston

Photo by ahyakal

CC BY-SA 4.0 Lets Live in Harmony by Whitney is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.